• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faulty something :s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaguar_Infinity

Registered
Right this is my first post so sorry if its in the wrong thread and its also mainly for confirmation to what i think but here it goes.

I had a 1.4 thunderbird cpu in a PC chips mobo (this was my server not my power pc b4 you cry over the mobo). 256 SD ram. TNT2 graphics. Oh and a custom case, a toolbox carry case moded to carry a pc rather than tools.

I swapped the hdd closed the lid and from then on refused to turn on. You could press the power button and the fans would start up but wouldn't even goto bios or boot graphics :(.

first thaught graphics card, reseated it, swapped it over with a different one. no luck. ram? reseated it borrowed someone elses no luck. so we put it down to the mobo and cpu. As it was i had another motherboard coming a few days later anyway so i waited and decided to test the cpu in that. exactly the same problem, i even used the ram and graphics card from my gaming pc and put them straight back in after and they were working fine.

I've told you that so you don't need to ask 'have you tried this this and this' but would a dead CPU give these simptoms? The CPU doesn't look burnt out dead or anything, just looks the same. am i unlucky and have a second dead mobo DOA with the same problem? I'm a bit inexperianced with 'dead' hardware to tell what it is :rolleyes:

I will admit i did the pencil trick on the cpu so i could put it in any AMD based obo at any settings and run long enuff for me to sort settings out but the chip was not over clocked at the time.

Hope you can help

Do you get any feedback from your internal speaker? (if it still exists in your new case;) )
The beeping sound it makes in combination with you instruction manual from the mobo will give you a good clue on what the problem might be.

Weelcome to the forums.
A dead CPU will give you the same symptoms. It doesn't always have a burning smell, and sometimes they get chipped putting on or removing HSFs, other times they just quit for no apparent reason.
Did you do that at the same time as the HD swap? If not, did it boot at all after you tried the pencil trick?

Pencil trick was on it for over a year, theres a possibility the HSF got nocked and chipping the cpu but nothing btween poweredown and reboot faliure happened other than the HDD change and the case being closed (possibly knocking the HSF again - was a tight fitting setup).

And i don't have a sence of smell so i have no idea about smelling fried cpu's :(.

Try the CPU out in your friend's rig. At least you'll know one way or the other whether or not its working.

That would be the best thing to do. See if the Tbred will work in your computer or your friends. Or try the other CPU on yours.

Could it be that your mobo or some other component shorted out against the sides of the toolbox? (I'm assuming a steel toolbox.) Any short in your system could have toasted the CPU.

BTW, welcome to the forums! -- Paul

Back