• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote load monitoring tool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Is there a tool available for Windows and/or Linux that can remotely monitor a *ix server's load averages and maybe CPU temps? And maybe even display this information graphically?

I'd set up my Linux box to be able to be monitored by EM3 (on a Windows box) but I really want more information than just that.

This might be what you are looking for. http://www.nagios.org/.
Features

* Monitoring of host resources (processor load, disk and memory usage, running processes, log files, etc.)
* Monitoring of environment / temperature
etc...

It's web based, so you have to run the apache web server. It monitors from cgi scripts, which was what I was going to suggest as one way of doing it.

All in all, it looks pretty nice.

remote monitoring

You can use SSH to login to your linux box remotely and run some simple programs as if you were on the linux box. lm_sensors is a text-based hardware monitor. Top will give you information about cpu/memory/swap loads and a list of running processes. If you wanted to do it graphically, you could use VNC.

SickBoy said:
Is there a tool available for Windows and/or Linux that can remotely monitor a *ix server's load averages and maybe CPU temps? And maybe even display this information graphically?

I'd set up my Linux box to be able to be monitored by EM3 (on a Windows box) but I really want more information than just that.

There's alot of web scripts and things. But thats through a web browser.

If you don't like that idea, you could look at setting up snmp.

Yeah, I know plenty about vnc and opening a telnet or ssh session. I'm looking for something a little fancier than that I think.

I'm going to look into nagios and big brother....

Webmin maybe?

Ask at 2CPU.com, they have server load averages posted on the front page.

you can use gkrellm version 2.0. It has a daemon to remotely check all this and more. There is even a port for windows for it, so windows-clients can check it too.

David said:
Webmin maybe?

Ask at 2CPU.com, they have server load averages posted on the front page.

What they do at 2cpu.com is like 1 line of php. Those are the load averages for their web server.

XWRed1 said:

What they do at 2cpu.com is like 1 line of php. Those are the load averages for their web server.

If all he wants is a simple one line printout on a webpage for his server then it should be all he needs.

As for graphically, Its a nono.

Doesn't sound obvious that all he wants is a ticker on his website.

So yea... I vote for more details on the specific needs, reasons, etc.

Actually, I'm not really looking to embed this in a web page. Was more hoping for something EM3-like with an actual client executable and not have to manually refresh a browser page to see updates.

This would be more of a LAN tool than something externally accessbile. I know I can still run a webserver on my own network but that's not really the point.

I don't know how hard it would be but maybe once I start taking Java classes I could write a Java applet to do this...

This sounds like something you might want to use snmp for. I'm not too experienced with setting it up though and it seems to be regarded as potentially insecure.

Back