• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux box as a router ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumpa

Is it possible ?
I read about this somewhere, but can't remember the link :(

Can you help me ?
What hardware is needed etc..?

I could use google but I want it in English ;) because I don't know much about Linux.

I have 4 computers total and I would like to use one as a router (Pentium II 400 MMX, 128 MB PC100, 6.4 GB Seagate HDD with SuSE 8.1 Personal).

I have a cable connection.

Thanks for your help.

check out clarkconnect its a linux router based on redhat 7.2 (i think its 7.2) all you need is 2 nic's in the linux box one for the cable modem and one for your lan thats what i use...

You need 2 nic's in the box
one for the cable modem
one for your lan

Then set linux up, wich will
depend on wich version you use.

I've done it in redhat 8, and it's actually not nearly as difficult as you might think. If that's what you're going to be using, I'll post a guide for you.

dumpa said:
Is it possible ?
I read about this somewhere, but can't remember the link :(

Can you help me ?
What hardware is needed etc..?

I could use google but I want it in English ;) because I don't know much about Linux.

I have 4 computers total and I would like to use one as a router (Pentium II 400 MMX, 128 MB PC100, 6.4 GB Seagate HDD with SuSE 8.1 Personal).

I have a cable connection.

Thanks for your help.

locust :) i dont need a hdd, only 64mb of ram, there is a version thatll run off of 32mb also, but you need a cd-rw so you can burn the cd-image "its bootable"

Back