• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.7 to 1.75 Volts to much for Northwood?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tracker

Registered
I was wondering what the max voltage is for this CPU [P4 1.6A Northwood BO stepping]
It will go to 2800mhz @ 1.7 in the Bios [Asus P4B533] but it seems to fluctuate to 1.75 and as low as 1.675. Temps go to about 52C with stock cooler and full load. Wil this damage the CPU? It is stable at 1.65V and 2700mhz but I just love to see it at 2800mhz! hehe

Welcome to the forums.

I understand wanting to see the biggest possible number but I'd give away the hundred megahertz and run it at 1.65.

By the way, gettting a 1.6 to 2.7 on a stock HSF is a HUGE overclock. Congratulations!

BHD

jdmcnudgent said:
i would say you right on the threshhold. i would get better cooling before i run 24/7 at that speed.

Thanx, I must say that the Asus P4B533 is one sweet mobo too though. With the dipswitch trick I can make the mem run a 3:4 ratio but it seems to crap out at anything over 200FSB mem [150mhz CPU] so if I run the CPU at 175mhz X 16 = 2800 [1:1 ratio] and I get great memory bandwidth too.
I do have 3 years extended warranty on the CPU though from the store I bought it from, so I guess I should do what I want to it, they will just repalce it no questions askes if it dies. Plus they no longer make the 1.6A so I will prolly get at least a 1.8 :)

Tracker said:
...I do have 3 years extended warranty on the CPU though from the store I bought it from, so I guess I should do what I want to it, they will just repalce it no questions askes if it dies...

Overclocking voids your warranty man. Just because you CAN return a cpu that you fried, knowing very well the consequences that overclocking can have, doesn't mean you SHOULD return it. Please be honest, be an ethical overclocker.

Back