• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 & my modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flying Frisian

Recently used torture test to check for errors; works fine for at least nine hours but fails as soon as I start to connect to the internet: ILLEGAL SUMOUT which suggests hard/software issue.
The error occors at the moment the handshaking between modem and provider starts.
Checked with Norton Windoctor and of course found no problems.
I set my voltage at 1.85. I could try with my cpu at normal but I suspect there is a deeper problem.
Anyone have ideas and/or suggestions at this point?

Thanks, RvB.

Last edited:
welcome to the forums, Flying Frisian!

Is your system overclocked by FSB? If so, the PCI busses may be too far out of spec fopr your modem to handle, and it dies on you as soon as it tries to do anything.

Have you tried reinstalling your modem and it's drivers? How about changing dialup access numbers, sometimes that has an effect. Might want to double check that Xon/Xoff is set correctly, and it's at 8-n-1.

Does Prime have it's own dialup settings or does it use Windows?

Thanks for the replie.
In the bios I use 7x133 to get 933MHz. I have my occasional crashes but only get the error in Prime95 when dailing in with for instance Outlook Express; Also with seti@home, SetiMonitor told me about a powerproblem only when contacting internet.
In my modem setting I see a choice between hardware rts/cts and software Xon/Xoff. It seems I have to use hardware-transport with my usb-modem..
I'll first try to eliminate the problem by clocking to its original speed which is 700MHz.

actually you might as well leave it at 933; when running at 133mhz FSB everything should be in spec and work fine, as long as the chip can run that fast. And if the chip couldn't handle it, you'd most likely have trouble with Prime even running, let alone dialing.

sounds to me like you modem is setup correctly. I haven't used one for a few years, I'm lucky to have broadband, but as I recall I always had to use software control because I always had Winmodems. Trying to use and hardware features on them wouldn't work, cuz the hardware wasn't there. Worth a look, maybe?

Have you tried just making a basic dial-up connection, instead of letting a program try to handle it? Sometimes that solved problems for me. For example the dialer app that my old ISP wanted me to use never eally worked right but when I tried the basic Windows one it worked just fine.

That's pretty much all that I can think of, besides everyone's least favorite option- redo the OS. Hope you can get it working! :)

Yep, Lowering cpu didn't do it.
I'm using the basic dailup from windows; going to fiddle with perhaps software. Format c is getting close now :-(
By the way, could you perhaps suggest a secondary forum for me to post this problem; I'm not too familiar here, yet. ;-)

PS How to get that smiley in, or did I foul up my prefernces?

this is the only computer forum I goto, IMHO it's the best. Can't think of anyplace else to go but wait a while, I'm sure somebody else here will read your Q and figure out what's up.

As for smileys we use the simple ones, :) instead of :). There should be a box with a list full of them in the 'post reply' dialog.

Last edited:
Thanks; I now see the difference between a normal reply with the prefabs :) and the "quick reply" without..
Maybe my quest is one for normal hard&software issue-forums, yet here, with all these oc-experienced people I hope to find answers.

PS. 933MHz is the best I can manage; at 7x138 the system stays black before even booting (most of the time)
'Till I get new graphics and mobo I'm quit happy with this setup.
:D

It is a modem driver bug. The driver is not saving and restoring the FPU state properly.

When using XP-os, with dual boot, there's no problem when connecting, so indeed it must be driver-related.
So, going to try repair by reïnstalling my usbmodem-drivers.:-/

Prime95 said:
It is a modem driver bug. The driver is not saving and restoring the FPU state properly.

this is my first thought. IF your still having trouble research your drivers model see if there are similar problems on the net.

Back