• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All these extra wires coming out of the PSU..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiseass

So I've got all these extra wires coming out that I'm not using. One of them I'm not even sure what it's for, an old motherboard connector it looks like. I am essentially done modding my case, maybe a fan or two, but once that's done, would there be any problems opening the PSU, chopping off the extra wires, putting heat-shrink over the ends and tucking them away inside the PSU?

Obviously I couldn't leave just the bare wires hanging out inside there so I wanted to wrap them in heat-shrink once I cut them and keep anything from happening.

I realize that if I did this I would probably void any/all warranty for that power supply, as well as ruin my chances of using it in another case..

Yup, warranty would be gone. And it would be a pain to solder the wires back together if you ever needed them again. But if your not going to use them then nothing really bad is going to happen if you were to get rid of them. Just make sure that the wires are well insulated and are away from hot spots inside the psu. Wouldnt want a wire to melt and short out.

Instead of cutting them, wirewrap them and tuck them off to the side or top with cable ties. Keeps it fully functional if necessary.

One of them I'm not even sure what it's for, an old motherboard connector it looks like.

That connector is for some older P4 boards and from what ive heard, some Nforce2 boards. Your best bet is to tuck it under your power supply so if you ever need it, it is there.

If you have the space behind the mobo, of down the side of the case I'd suggest rerouting them, and maybe tape of hot glue them in place...
But if you're determined to go by the minimalist approach, make sure they're well insulated, and just be careful where you site them, as AllenSmoker suggested...

Don't cut the wires!!, the black thingy (I only know the Dutch word) the wires go thru is there to prevent you accidently pull the wires off the PCB, and possibly short something which might cause fire.
By removing some cables, the black thingy can't do its work properly.

I don't know about the US, but over here electric equipment has to meet certain rules (NEN3544), one of them is that the wires may not be simply pulled out, and if it catches fire the insurance company won't pay if they find out it didn't meet those rules.

You can easily just put a couple of zip-ties onto the wire bundle so that it is still wide enough not to pass through the opening. Or hot glue, etc..

I cable sleeved all my wires with UV sleeving so even if they aren't being used they still look good under the lighting ...

uv1.txt

KILLorBE said:
if it catches fire the insurance company won't pay if they find out it didn't meet those rules.

And how is the insurance company going to find out something like that? Surely insurance companies wouldnt insure most computers belinging to overclockers or watercoolers if they knew what we were up to.

If you've got a mid-tower case, there's almost always a wee bit of space between the PSU and the roof of the case. What I usually do is remove the PSU from the case, use some strong duct tape or something to stick them to the top of the PSU, and then mount the PSU in the case.

They're out of the way, completely invisible, and there if I ever need them.

Seal said:

And how is the insurance company going to find out something like that? Surely insurance companies wouldnt insure most computers belinging to overclockers or watercoolers if they knew what we were up to.

That's pretty easy, they always look where the fire started (as it has been burning longer than anything else it looks different from the rest).

I don't think WC'ing your rig is much of a problem, first of all the PSU usually doesn't get wet as it's higher than the pump, rad, WB and such, and even if it does get wet the fuse will blow.

They probably could give you a hard time if they found out that the WC'ing caused the fire, but then again the WC'ing would probably put the fire out instead of causing a fire.
I think it depends on the insurance company if they pay or not, all I know is that you have to follow certain rules when you modify electrical equipment that runs of the main power (depending on where you live 120/240V orso).

i wouls unsolder the wires from the board, then wrap the wires comin outta he PSU with some good tape. also, the black thing keeps the wires from rubbin, and the insulation rubs off, then the bare wires short against the grounded casing.

just thought i would add that its called a "gromet" :) saves all the black thing comments, hehe. i would just unsolder them and keep them in a safe place just incase you will need them again shorty. there is nothing wrong with doing this.

Cheers, Turando

I once took out all the wires from my psu, and soldered the ones I needed ,with exact length and everything. It was pretty neat, for a week or 2, then I had to add something to the system.....

It was an old AT psu, on my K62-400, that I also modded it to supply standby power so I could run my case lighting when my pc was off, since that was the only time I ever used it on that pc, when I was inside installing components.

Back