• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP home Vs. XP pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Home is made for the "home user".. alot of options are disabled/hidden, and made so my grandmother could use it w/o being able to mess it up that easily.

Pro is for anyone who knows what they're doing.

pro also has IIS, home doesnt. you wont need it if you dont need to run a server, or you prefer apache or something else

when booting... the status has a yellow bar, instead of a blue one "liek xp pro" haha :)

DDR-PIII said:
when booting... the status has a yellow bar, instead of a blue one "liek xp pro" haha :)

hrm... my boot screen is grey and black... and it has a to[less chick with her hand over her breasts... i run pro ;)

u can make pro boot fast though, my one rig booted Pro in 14.63 sec b4 i had to reformat, (damn virus)

XP Pro has

Remote Desktop – remotely access your Windows XP Professional PC, from another Windows PC, so you can work with all of your data and applications while away from your office.

Offline Files and Folders - access to files & folders on a network share when disconnected from the server.

Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support.

Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are stored on disk using the NTFS file system.

Access Control – restrict access to selected files, applications, and other resources.

Centralized administration - join Windows XP Professional systems to a Windows Server domain to take advantage of the full range of powerful management and security tools.

Group Policy - simplifies the administration of groups of users or computers.

Software Installation and Maintenance – automatically install, configure, repair, or remove software applications.

Roaming User Profiles - access to all your documents and settings no matter where you log on.

Remote Installation Service (RIS) – support for remote operating system installations where desktops can be installed across the network.

Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on - change the user interface language to get localized dialog boxes, menus, help files, dictionaries, and proofing tools etc.

the home version does not.

So if you do not need any of these then the home version should suit you fine. if not you might wan to pick up a copy of pro

I like XP Pro, its easily customizable and what I use, home seems to be directed at the PC ignorant "user friendly" market, not to mention pro is much better for networking. I'm running a p4 [email protected] w/1GB PC3700 DDR Geil Ram, and after powering up it usually takes about 16-20 seconds for my desktop to load. :)

I have no complaints about load times with pro, but on my slower machine p2 800mhz with 256MB of RD Ram it took my desktop almost 10 seconds more to load than Win 98SE.

lol, I have pro on a pentium 233 mhz, with 320MB. I just use it for IIS and IM lazy, lol. its not really that slow once you turn off all the default garbage and change the display settings

OMG, THE STRANGEST THING, my friend has a P3 550 and the XP loading screen only blinks on and off, it takes less than 10 seconds to load. My XP1600 can do it in 15 with home, bit IT IS SO WIERD. I think its and intel conspiracy. For a while my p1 233 loaded in under 30 sec, while my k6-2 533 took almost a min. CONSORACY I YELL!!!

CrashOveride said:

hrm... my boot screen is grey and black... and it has a to[less chick with her hand over her breasts... i run pro ;)

I was talking about when they are installed "stock ;0"

Back