• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256mb ram enough for BF1942?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlackerTK421

Hey

I just bought a p4t533-c with the hope of using my 512mb pc800 samsung but it doesn't work with the ram so I had to use the kingston 1066 i had. Do you think 256mb of rdram is enough to run battlefield1942? I heard it was ram intensive so I was wondering before I buy the game..

What john said. I upgraded from 256 to a gig and I load levels in 10 seconds. Well, maybe an exagerration, but it is fast. Faster than everyone else. Game is alot smoother as well.

and who's the avatar?? :D ....... yeah it should run fine but load time will be slow, by the time you get in the game, people probably be flying planes already.

eli said:
What john said. I upgraded from 256 to a gig and I load levels in 10 seconds. Well, maybe an exagerration, but it is fast. Faster than everyone else. Game is alot smoother as well.

When loading a level it's more about what type of hard drive you have and not the ram. Last time I timed my load time I got 10 secs even. However this is with two Maxtox Diamond MaxPlus 9 8mb cache in RAID 0. So I wouldn't say you faster then anyone else when loading the maps.

When i say everyone else, i mean those that are in my dorm. Not the world. I haven't met everyone yet.

And I disagree, ram plays a huge part in how fast the game loads.

although it is about how fast your harddrive can transfer primarily, if you dont have enough RAM to hold everything it needs then your going to get choppy performance as it constantly loads from the harddrive for its models/sounds/textures whatever...no matter how fast your harddrive, nothing can save you then ;)

it won't be enough .. you should have atleast 768mb of ram to truly enjoy the game do some maths

a typical level = 40-60 mb
sound (loading size vary with quality)
windows running in background

with bf1942 before you even know you are running out of ram like anything so i suggest you invest a little in RAM it would be worth it even besides BF1942

and yeah who is in your avatar :D

Yes, RAM does play a crucial part in Battlefield: 1942. When I only had 256 MB, it would lag like nobody's business. I dropped a 512 stick in w/ my 256, and it ran butter-smooth.

john240sx said:
btw, the avatar is obviously photochopped.
edit: actually, i can't tell if it was chopped.

By the way not to thread jack, but if your talking about my avatar yes it is chopped. If you loook real hard at it you can tell it was chopped the same as most in here. Back to the ram and hard drive part. Yes ram can help but say you have 512mb or more but have a ATA66 hard drive it will take awhile to load a map.

Even 512 is not enough if you are a serious gamer and don't like stuttering. BF 1942 is one of my favorite games of all time, but it takes a ton of ram to enjoy.

I would also recommend 768 megs or more.

256 megs and you'll be hating life.

Klownin79 said:

By the way not to thread jack, but if your talking about my avatar yes it is chopped. If you loook real hard at it you can tell it was chopped the same as most in here

i wasn't talking about yours, i was talking about SlackerTK421's.

Back