• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use SSE with AMD!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kendan

Senior Punk
Only do this if you are gromacs stable and if you become unstable or lose a workunit then just remove the -forceasm flag:D

Stanford changed things up because of some stability issues. Please do this to get the most points from your AMD rigs. I know it is a PITA but we need every point we can get to catch OCAU. Fold on!!!!!

Correct procedure for using SSE on an AMD rig as of right this minute. This is for the Text only console client and the graphical client. Just download the corresponding Beta client. There is no need to uninstall first.

1. Get the beta client from here: http://folding.stanford.edu/beta/beta.html

2. Stop the client

4. Rename the new beta client 3.25 to replace the one that is there now. (example: you have fah.exe and the beta is betafah.exe you rename betafah.exe to fah.exe and replace the old with the new beta:D)

5. Delete FAH_core78.exe

6. Make sure you are using the -advmethods and the -forceasm flags (the Forceasm flag is the one turning on SSE now)

7. Restart the client:D

Here is a good thread on Gromacs and an explanation of how to set the flags:D
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130328&highlight=groma*

Last edited:
Alright Kendan the folding n00b has some questions:

1) How beneficial is this?
2) Is it worth doing?
3) Can I do this while in the middle of a wu?
4) Do I still type this in the startup folder under target in F@H:"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

Ben721 said:
Alright Kendan the folding n00b has some questions:

1) How beneficial is this?
2) Is it worth doing?
3) Can I do this while in the middle of a wu?
4) Do I still type this in the startup folder under target in F@H:"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

1. I have not tested the 3Dnow boost. But SSE speeds things up a lot:D

2. Yes

3. Yes you can do it in the middle of a Work Unit

4. Yes:D

4. Rename the new beta client 3.25 to replace the one there now.

stuck.. i don't know what you mean

edit:

do just download the exe and replace the old one?

Alright thanks Kendan, it took me like 5 minutes but I did it.

I can't wait to see the results. :p

I just uninstalled the 3.24 version and started using the 3.25 beta and so far things have been fine. I didn't rename any files but my frame times are good. Do I still need to rename the beta to winfah.exe?

OCn00b said:
I just uninstalled the 3.24 version and started using the 3.25 beta and so far things have been fine. I didn't rename any files but my frame times are good. Do I still need to rename the beta to winfah.exe?

Not if you uninstalled and reinstalled the Beta but you still need the flags:D

Cool, I'm still using the flags. Does the new client/core only affect the new gromacs or should we see improvements on all the gromacs?

Thanks Kendan.

I run the Windows Console (text) version.
I downloaded FAH3.25-Console-beta.exe from the site Kendan supplied above.
I stopped my current client in the middle of a WU.
I deleted the FAH3Console.exe client program.
I renamed FAH3.25-Console-beta.exe to FAH3Console.exe to replace the one I just deleted.
I deleted the FahCore_78.exe core program.
I then restarted the FAH client....
It downloaded a new core.
I got the "Extra SSE boost OK." message.
The client picked up working where it left off.

Took me just a couple of minutes.

7:12 per frame - old client on p909_vill_str0
6:08 per frame - new client on p909_vill_str0

1:04 per frame improvement
14.81% speed improvement

AMD XP2400+ (not overclocked)

So this even works for the few who use the graphical client (like ben, coz winFAH.exe i think is the graphical one =D) Im just wondering coz u know...in case of anyone esle wondering..and i like to clarify things that do not apply to me :)

'Bump

*edit* and u just answered my question :D */edit*

bubba gump said:
So this even works for the few who use the graphical client (like ben, coz winFAH.exe i think is the graphical one =D) Im just wondering coz u know...in case of anyone esle wondering..and i like to clarify things that do not apply to me :)

'Bump

*edit* and u just answered my question :D */edit*

Yes it will work just download the graphical from the link I linked:D I do not use the graphical anymore. Sorry for the confusion. I will edit the first post

Back