• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cablemod Issues Massive Warning not to use their 12VPWR Angled Adapters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

"CableMod has initiated a safety recall for its 16-pin 12VHPWR angled adapters in versions 1.0 and 1.1 due to identified safety concerns. This recall encompasses both the company's 90° angled and 180° hard connectors. The underlying issue lies in the male connector's contact points, which have been found to be inadequately designed, resulting in overheating and, in some cases, melting when connected to the GPU. It's crucial to note that this safety concern pertains exclusively to CableMod's hard adapters and does not extend to their angled cables. If you own these affected adapters, it is strongly advised to discontinue their use immediately. Furthermore, CableMod encourages affected users to promptly reach out to them to participate in the recall process and explore available service recovery options."

"Dear Hardware Community: It has come to our attention that certain CableMod 12VHPWR Angled Adapter V1.1s may be defective. We have since decided to discontinue sales of our angled adapters. We will be conducting a voluntary safety recall for all CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊Angled Adapters V1.0 and all CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊ Angled Adapters V1.1 because of the potential risk that the male connector could become loose, overheat, and melt into the GPU. This recall will apply only to our angled adapters and will not affect our angled cables. We will be sending out an official notice of, and full details for, our voluntary safety recall in the upcoming days. In the meantime, owners of the CableMod 12VHPWR V1.0 and V1.1 Angled Adapters should STOP USING THEM IMMEDIATELY. Please do not touch the adapters while your system is running. Power down your system and wait until the adapter has had adequate time to cool down before handling. Please reach out to our customer service if your GPU has been affected by a failed V1.0 or V1.1 angled adapter and we’ll help you out. https://cablemod.com/support/ We apologize for inconveniencing our loyal customers. We hope that you will let us make it up to you in the future. Your friends at CableMod"

The simple solution; buy AMD graphics cards or use IGP ;)
But really, I have AsiaHorse, LINKUP, and Corsair Type 4 cable for my SFX PSU. All work fine with my 4070 and 4080.

I feel like we hear about issues with these cables every couple of weeks, but some brands are changing. How someone could fail a simple cable so much?

From what I've read, no matter how tight they try to make the connector, there's always a little wiggle, and it's that wiggle that ends up causing the bad connection and subsequent house fire... But it's also on a very small amount of cases compared GPU sales, so I would hazard (bad cables/connectors aside), that these are setups that were bumped into or moved and the cable went enough out of "alignment" that it started heating up, sounds about right?

The main problem is that, in most cases, you lose the warranty if the card is clearly burned, the connector melted, and more. I wouldn't be happy to see it on any of the highly overpriced Nvidia cards. I'm sure it's also one of the reasons why AMD cards started to sell better. Lower prices compared to Nvidia affected it more, but still, it's a good argument to buy AMD.

The main problem is that, in most cases, you lose the warranty if the card is clearly burned, the connector melted, and more. I wouldn't be happy to see it on any of the highly overpriced Nvidia cards. I'm sure it's also one of the reasons why AMD cards started to sell better. Lower prices compared to Nvidia affected it more, but still, it's a good argument to buy AMD.
Sounds like a bad 90s commercial, "AMD: we'll try harder than Nvidia to NOT set fire to your house" :LOL: :rofl:

Are people not listening for the insertion click?

Crazy.

I did want to buy one, but maybe I will just use what I am given, meaning no modded cables..

I had no problems with the cables that come with PSUs. I was testing FSP, Enermax, Corsair, and Deepcool. All of them were fine. Well, Corsair was an additional option, but standard Type 4 for many PSUs. The main problem of the Corsair cable, or maybe an advantage in this case, is that it's hard to bend. As most PSU manufacturers point out and clearly say, even in the general features, the main problem is bending the cable near the connector. It hasn't changed, and I guess if you don't do that and the plug isn't loose, then it is no problem.

I don't hear "click" on my cables, but I always check it a couple of times before I turn on the PC. I can't afford anything like RTX4080, and even the one I have was a review sample.

I always thought that the 16-pin 12VHPWR connector was a poor design from the start. I would've taken an old-school-ish honkin'12pin connector over that new crap any day. All they keep doing is put a band-aid on the problem instead of redesigning the connector. Pff

I always thought that the 16-pin 12VHPWR connector was a poor design from the start. I would've taken an old-school-ish honkin'12pin connector over that new crap any day. All they keep doing is put a band-aid on the problem instead of redesigning the connector. Pff

They somehow redesigned it, but it's like you said, a band-aid instead of a full redesign. In the end, we have 3 or 4 types of connectors. The one that works with RTX3000 series cards, the one which is compatible with RTX4000 only, but backward compatible with RTX3090/Ti. There is also the redesigned connector which is starting to appear in new PSUs. There are still two, 450W and 600W versions of them. For example, I have Lian-Li PSU, which I was reviewing last year. It has a 12VPWR connector, but it's totally useless as it's 450W only and officially works only with RTX3000 cards. The PSU was released when RTX4000 series was on the market.

Back