• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp on old Xp procs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nintendo

I'm just wondering on the old xp procs that first came out are they hotter then the new ones. I got an old 1800 and was just wondering if the new procs being made are not like the old ones. I'm thinking of buying a BARTON xp 2500 and was just wondering.

The first releases of all cores tend to be less 'refined', hence run a bit hotter. The original Palomino XPs ran a tad warmer than equally clocked default tbred cores (your 1800+ came in the palomino and tbred A flavors).

Although the tbred A cores were made with a newer process and ran more efficiently, the actual size of the core was smaller, so there was less surface area to transfer heat. As a result, any advantages gained from the new process were lost in the shrinking of the core's size. Some earlier tbreds (all the tbred A cores were 'early'/first tbred cores made/released) actually ran hotter than the palominos at the same clock speed and cooling.

I just changed an old xp1600+ to a new dlt3c xp1800+.

I can run the xp1800+ @ 2.2ghz to reach the same temps that I got with the xp1600+ at stock speeds.

Super Nintendo said:
ok thanks for the comments and is the 2500 barton pretty much as the same with the temps being much colder

The barton's a tbred B core (a more refined tbred core) with additional L2 cache (512kb). It will run cooler than any palomino at 1.8ghz.

Back