• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Website Stuffs...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SexyNerd

Registered
Does anyone here own a personal site? I've really wanted to create one, but I'm not quite sure how to get started. What are some good hosts and domain registration places? Any one know of a good blog software?

Also, I've heard Photoshop is a good imaging software, is that true? Have any advice? Let me know! :D Thanks!

Gabbie!

Photoshop is good.
Dreamweaver, Flash, and Fireworks are helpful and make it a lot easier if you can deal iwth em- some people hate Dreamweaver cuz it does weird stuff.
you could host yourself, find a free one, or pay for one- im sure some poeple around here have good suggestions for hosts... i dont :-/

thats ok. It was really helpful advice! How does flash and dreamweaver work?

Gabbie!

flash can make al lot of cool stuff but is good for flashy cool looking intros and menu's... dremweaver is liek frontmapge but integrates iwth fireworks and Flash. Fireworks is an image editor and alows you to not only edit images but make javascript menus, you just make buttons that have rollovers and things and it exports it into an html files and images that can be imported into Dreamweaver and make somthign liek this: http://davinci.moh.bvsd.k12.co.us/student/SeigeA/MyPage/Templates/
(its an old site of mine that i am about ready to delet cuz it looks like poo- i never got around to making it what i was plainning on)

and here is a menu i made with flash that i am planning on using...
http://davinci.moh.bvsd.k12.co.us/student/SeigeA/MyPage/bluandwhite.swf
dont think the programs suck because my skillz do- these are actualy kinda bad examples cuz i suck :-/

it may take a while to load bu tyou can make cool loaders and stuff too... i just suck lol:D (oh and it might be big its not really gonna be that big if it is really big...)

awesome! Is it hard and confusing to use for a newbie like myself, or does have a really go help program? Also, where can I get these programs? :D

Gabbie!

well there are lots of good tutorials for Flash and some for fireworks and they do have pretty good help things in the program... i just mess around with it for the most part.

you can get them at most places that sell software... they are made my Macromedia if i didnt already say that. they are a bit expensive but if you look you can find em for cheap;) somtimes very cheap.. and you can download a demo from macromedia too.

for flash there is a little program called swift or something like that is cheaper and easier than flash... about dreamweaver it's very easy to use... just practice, but if you want you may use frontpage... it's like power point, very very easy... and as CrashOveride said, if you want a good page try use fireworks and all that stuff...

SexyNerd said:
neat, but do you/anyone know of a good host?

Gabbie!

you could set your self up if you have high speed internet or you could find a cheap one (i wouldnt use free ones cuz most of the time they have adds and stuff- i dont like that, unless you cajn find one that doesnt use adds...)

i think Skip (the guy who pays the bills for these forums) has his own hosting company... its called AKM Development :D

Website stuves

I do run my own website. Although there is nothing but a blog basically on there now because i'm in the middle of a redesign :D

I'll try to give you as much information as possible that I can think of off the top of my head :)

Anyways, some good software to have would be(of course, some of this stuff costs alot of money, but they offer trial versions of just about all I do believe. A few I wouldn't recommend unless you can get student discounts or sleep at night on piles of money):

- 3D Studio Max 5: Most well-rounded 3D rendering software. Used by sites like Shadowness. More expensive than a *good* used car and a learning curve so steep, it's actually a wall.

- Adobe Photoshop 7.0: The industry standard software for editing images and creating graphics and it also includes ImageReady which is great for creating webpages. Just draw your page out and use the slices. It'll do all the HTML for you. Expensive but the best there is. Rather steep learning curve.

- JASC Paint Shop Pro 7: Image editing software like Photoshop 7. Actually quite powerful and easier to use than Photoshop for an incredible amount less money(but not as powerful as Photoshop). Under $100 last I checked. Moderate learning curve.

- Macromedia Flash MX: Great for dynamic web graphics. Check out 2Advanced for an example of what Flash can do. Very steep learning curve and quite expensive.

- Macromedia Dreamweaver MX: Best damn WYSIWYG web-editing and creation software out there. I don't care what anyone says, a good 70-80% of web designers out there use this. Moderate learning curve and rather expensive.

- Macromedia Fireworks MX: Good image-editing software. Not nearly as powerful as Photoshop 7.0, but it integrates nicely with Dreamweaver and Flash. Somewhat steep learning curve and somewhat expensive

- Macromedia Studio MX: It's Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX and Fireworks MX all in one package. Very expensive.

- Microsoft Frontpage: A WYSIWYG web-design program like Dreamweaver, but less powerful and alot less money. Usually included with various versions of Microsoft Office. Moderate learning curve.

As for hosting, well, you have alot of choices. Some ISP's include free webspace(mine does) and some don't. Then you can get some free webspace. Places like Geocities or Lycos will give you a small amount of webspace for free. However, they don't allow external linking(so you couldn't store your avatar there and link to it), and have ads and bandwidth limits, so if you need alot of space and decent bandwidth or a place to store images, then they're no good.

You can host a site off your own computer, but unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend it. In my opinion, it's a security risk. As well it will be operating on your internet connection. If it is slow, your site will be too, and you could eat up your bandwidth.

Then there's paid hosting. This is the best way. Your site is stored in a server, usually on a really fast internet connection and you use FTP to connect to it to upload files. Downtime is usually minimal too, because these companies usually have backup power generators and such. Price depends on their connection, security, stability and the size and bandwidth limit of the "hosting package" you bought. I'd say prices can range from 2 bucks a month to thousands of dollars a month.

Personally I have 75MB of space and 1.5GB a month. It's not much, but it's enough for what I use it for which is pretty much just a personal site. I pay 4 dollars a month.

Now your site's address will be something like "http://hostingcompany.com/27152hs782". You'll want to register a domain name. This will be something like www.mysitepwnz.com or whatever you choose. Most hosts can usually register the domain name for you. Domains usually cost around 10 bucks a year. Basically you're buying that name.

The reason i'd recommend a paid host is because unlike Geocities or Lycos, they will(not always, find out before you buy) allow Cgi, Perl, PHP and give you a MySQL database.

That kind of stuff will allow you to use pre-made scripts and such. You can do that kinda stuff with just straight HTML, but PHP makes it ALOT easier, usually just upload the files and type in the url for the install file. I have a .php newsscript, so all I do is just type the url, and I get a login screen to type news updates. It's almost exactly like posting here :)

Anyways, sorry about the length, I just remember how many questions and how lost I was when I first got into web design, so I kinda wanted to try and help as much as possible.

If you need any more info or have any questions, feel free to pm me and i'll try to help as best I can. :D I don't think they'd allow links to some webspace hosts, but if you want any, I can give you some as well.

Albreck said:
for flash there is a little program called swift or something like that is cheaper and easier than flash... about dreamweaver it's very easy to use... just practice, but if you want you may use frontpage... it's like power point, very very easy... and as CrashOveride said, if you want a good page try use fireworks and all that stuff...

You're thinking of Swish which is a program very similar to Flash. Swift3D is a 3D plugin for Flash

You should get hosted and a domain name through webair.com they have very good support if you have any problems and have been recommended to me from threebrain.com :)

Wow, thanks a TON you guys. I'm really glad for the help! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :D

Gabbie!

so SexyNerd, who much for you space?

ill give you $.10 for a years rent.. all you need to do is have it say "Fold 32 and [OC]FoldingNinjas"
;) (no joke though really:D)

Back