• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Update Windows or Not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Do people udate there windows by downloading the critical patches off the microsoft website? Does it cause more problems then it solves?

Im running windows xp pro...

it updates automatically for me
I update just so it wouldnt have to bother with that icon in the system tray ... of course I can cancel the service but updating takes only a few seconds anyway

I dont really notice any differences so perhaps I should cancel the service ... dunno

unpatched XP tends to fall apart after a while from my experiencem, and if you read the list of fixes is quite horrendous...especially when you get to the part that deals with the core of the operating system - its suprising that it ever worked

ViolaDude said:
Do people udate there windows by downloading the critical patches off the microsoft website? Does it cause more problems then it solves?

Im running windows xp pro...

You also get program compatibility fixes, plus I've only heard of one update creating a slow down problem, but it seems to be for random people. I use that update anyway and my computer is fine. So I think you should atleast get the critical updates. I always skip over the driver updates because my drivers are always newer then the Windows Update ones heh. There is also the regular "Windows" section, which has upgrades to MSN Messenger, Film Maker, and some other updates. I usually skip over the programs like messenger and do some of the Recommended updates (but not all of them).

Back