• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 Gig of 2700 or 512 of 3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slowmo

I'm torn between wanting to go faster on the memory, or having double the RAM? Does anyone know which one will feel faster in real world apps? They are both very high quality RAM. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like some newer opinions.

you already have 1gig of pc2700? (thats what it says in your sig). I would go with the pc3200 myself gig of ram doesnt make much difference, although when doom comes out it will.

the gig he has now wouldn't speed up to 3200 to catch up the new stick

Tough call....I'd say keep it. It's already dual channeled. I think were getting close to the point where 1 gig becomes the standard (3 months and I think were there) like 512 is now. Unless your looking for an excuse to upgerade something i would hang on for a while...I don't know how often you upgrade or anything but your setup is pretty nice. Wait until you can comfortably purchase 1 gig of 3200 or 3500. I'm waiting for PC4000 and a for sure stable nfocrce 2 board at close to 250mhz.

Good luck :)

During normal use, only about 1/4 of my RAM is even utilized. 90% of the time, I'm only using Outlook, Mailwasher, and a few Explorer Windows open, plus Norton Utilities. I don't game nearly as much as I'd like to. I've disabled many of the unneeded services as per Black Viper.
http://www.blkviper.com/index.html
I think I'm going to keep this 2700 and sell the 3200 Winbond, and just wait until the 3500 comes down, then swap out. In about 3 or 4 months, I could get a gig of that for what I can sell the Winbond now.

Last edited:
I have a gig of 2700 and really want to upgrade to 3500; it seems that my rig right now is pushing the limits of the 333 speed and I think I could o/c much more with higher ram speed! but if you aren't at the limit yet, keep your 2700 until you want to up that fsb past the rated speed!

I'd go for the PC2700.

...however, 1 GB of DCDDR400 lovin' is great. :cool: My computer has never felt so smooth.

Of course, if you're the typical "internet, email and AIM, shut down all programs to game" kinda guy then 512MB would be more than enough for you.

Back