• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nic - Nic ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
If I were to install a Routing OS freesco on a computer, then put two NIC's in it would it take justa normal cat5 from it directly to another computer ? or would I have to make a crossover cable ?

yes... in any situation where you go from NIC to NIC you need a crossover cable... it doesn't matter if you are using routing software or not.

ok, why can you use a normal cable"cat5" when going from an actual router to a computer ? its different hardware ?

Huh?? What you mean go from router to a computer???
Cause most of the router has a switch built in, which mean the connection is just like hub/switch to computer and that needs straight cable.
BUT dont confuse with the uplink port on the router. So if you use that uplink port to connect to a computer (its like you dividing the whole network into small division) then you will need a crossover cable.

hope that helps,
MameXP,
PS. also in future dont use the term normal for straight, i getting hard time to figure out that :p j/k. There are only 3 type for the cat5 cable: rollover, crossover and straight(thankx OSUmax for reminding me)

Last edited:
opps lol i forgot about rollover cable, but its only used for terminal the most to config router or switch so not practical use for general network.
Thankx for remind me :p
Ps.
Oh, DDR-PIII if you plan to use a computer for a router, do you know what linux distro to use yet?? If you havent made up your mind, you can contact me for more info. I would be happy to help

Last edited:
no i mean if i used a distro to turn a computer into a router/switch wouldnt it be able to tell that it was connected directly to another computer ? no ? why not switches can do it.

Back