• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer making wierd noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neo Demi

My dads computer is making very strange high pitched gratng noises at startup. just wondering what you think it could be. only appears when the machine starts, once its booted, the noise is gone.

had a thought that it may be one of the hds, but they seem fine [two maxtor 10g's] then the psu, no real way of testing it as i dont have a spare. then i thought it may be the fan, but thats just new, along with the hs. anyone got any ideas

well the computers going fine, so im not to bothered, it just makes make me feel like the things gonna blow up in my face.

anyways, its my dad who normally uses the computer, so itll be him who has to pay for anything that breaks :D

I've read somewhere that if your HD makes this noise then it is time to back up all the data because it would die pretty fast and unexpectedly. You can also start looking for a new HD deals. Cheers.

I had an old Yamaha CDRW drive do this. It sounded like a dying animal. Maybe open up the side of the case and listen through a piece of hose to tell where it's coming from. Good luck!

-- Dave

Well if you just replaced your cpu HS and fan, then probably not them.... but check your exhaust fan, on my old PC I let my exhaust fan get really dirty and sometimes when starting up my PC it would make a noise like you described
computer is making very strange high pitched gratng noises at startup
But I agree with D $hady, best way is to follow your ear, best of luck.

i think its time to ditch the 10gig hds, they tend to fill quite quick. maybe get a copule of 80s, so if its one of them, itll be gone soon. the cdrw is gonna go soon.

mbekkali said:
I've read somewhere that if your HD makes this noise then it is time to back up all the data because it would die pretty fast and unexpectedly. You can also start looking for a new HD deals. Cheers.

arff... It makes a while it does the sound... I'll try to backup and buy a hard drive whenever I can :(

At least pop the side off and ID the offending part before buying a new HD. On the other hand, if your dad is footing the bill, go with the bigger HD! LOL

heh, had a poke around, turns out to be the old 52x cdrom drive that isnt used very often. took the power away from it, no more noise :)

still gonna get bigger hds though, c:\ has about 600mb left. i dont even have any games on it. just my dads office stuf, win me and a lotta junk.

srs said:
At least pop the side off and ID the offending part before buying a new HD. On the other hand, if your dad is footing the bill, go with the bigger HD! LOL

you think he's gonna pay for something better, he's just gonna buy the same hard drive :eek:

Back