• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noisy water pump; not strong enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

I am running a Pondmaster Model 1.9 190 GPH in my dual rad system. I haven't hooked up my waterblock yet, so i was just doing a test run on the system. The pump is very quiet when i run it with nothing attached, but when i hook it up to the system, it gets a lot louder, almost sounds like a grinding noise. The pump also seems to produce a lot of heat too.

My question: Is this pump not strong enough for my watercooling system?

Also, the 250 Gph model (one above mine) does not need to be submerged. Do pumps like this run any better or worse because of this fact? Will they produce much more heat and need air cooling?

Usually it's better to have a pump not submerged since the heat produced by the pump gets transfered into the water ;) Your pump runs submerged ? I dunno if there could be any bubble then :confused:

perhaps. I have worked out the air the system considering it is really easy to move pieces around to get the air to come out when it's sitting in a pile on a desk. I turned of the fan and yes, the heat from the pump warmed the water quite a bit. I assume that when you run a pump not submerged that no heat is transferred?

That is generally the case. A little heat is transferred since the pump moves the water, but not nearly as much heat as a submerged pump sitting in a tank of water getting hotter and hotter.

I suggest a via aqua 1300, if you get lucky it will last years, mine is 370gps, i tried putting a bubble in my system and it did a complete loop in under 3 seconds, from exit of res to entrance. Its also silent at full strain, and when not hooked to sumthing, it shoots water over a foot strait up outta the top. Its not too strong, ya gotta help it to get it flowing,but for 20$ you can get 2 and have equal pressure to one of the enheims or sumthin. Also very low heat output, and can be inline or standard. In my opinion a very good pump.

Sounds decent, but I think I will stick with the brand i am using considering i paid about $20 US for my pump and it outperforms the enheim. The 250 won't cost me much more, but will change the design of my cooler setup.

Is it better to run a system inline or with a reservoir? I know that temp changes are much slower with a res, but is there any advantage to either way?

Well, when i got my res(yesterday) i lost 5c, which i think is very good. Then again, my pally is a better heater than our gas heater built into the house. Also, if you can get one for 20$, then i wanty a link!!! I havnt looked, but.... seems very nice.

I'd love to give you a link, but I work in a hardware store that carries them.. Perk of the job you could say!

:D

i could include the specifications if you would like, or a pic of the pump? I'm probably going to go and get the 250 Gph tomorrow, to test it out and see if It's much quieter and how much heat it produces.

Still in the making. It's going to be a near replica of a white water, with a different center below the jet.

if your talkin a microfin or any kinda low flow high pressure block, then you dont need much pump power at all. i just ran the gamet on pumps with my nemesis block and come to find out, the smallest one (lowest flow) works the best/quietest. i tried from 700gph to 175 gph that im currently using. my point being is if you got a low flow setup all you need is a small pump. if its a WW clone then this is especially tru. mine is kinda a WW "clone" as well.

Well well junglebizz. how's that hardware store treating yah.

but seriously. i am the one making the block for mr jungle. it will be a WW of sort but with a major difference. microfins are too hard to do witha drillpress so there will be dimples with flow directing fins. i am running the same pump as him. it's the pondmaster/danner 1.9. good little pump, cheap and reliable. have been running it for about 15 hours a day and not a hiccups. as for the pump being submerged the 1.9 puts out 19 watts which according to what i have read about heater cores, the heat is easily manageable. one thing i will point out is that at 5 ft head the 1.9 is equal to the pondmaster/danner 250 in flow.

lo and behold... danner makes pondmaster! :)

i'm probably just going to stick with the model 1.9, it will be cheaper considering all the changes i would have to make to my setup. my dual rads will take care of the heat.

I'm going to do what Yuriman is working on, glueing the impeller to the shaft to eliminate vibration.

Back