• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble getting Toshiba USB Cable Modem working in Mandrake 9.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aggieeng

I just got one of my friends to try linux and he installed Mandrake 9.1, however, he's having trouble connecting to the internet. He's using a Toshiba PCX2200 cable modem that connects to his computer by a USB cable. I think it's probably just getting Mandrake to use the USB port for internet connections but I don't know for sure. If anyone could help it would much appreciated. Thanks.

Aggieeng

:edit:

Here's what he told me:

"when i put in "automatic detection" and then run the wizard, it automatically picks up "Windows Modem" (which, I know about that, but it worked fine for Red Hat so I don't see that being the problem) and "LAN Connection",.... it doesn't automatically pick up "Cable connection", however...when i uncheck those two and then check "cable connection" and then continue with the wizard, it says a connection is established, but the internet will not work, and then it goes back to saying there's no connection at the wizard screen"

Did he have the modem hooked up during the installation of Mandrake?

What happens when you try lan connection? Probably nothing, right?

If you get it going let me know how... I am curious.

Back