• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

volcano 7+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_slh_

Just installed this in my rig, mounted the little speed selector switch in the middle of the case using zip ties, set it to maximum speed, and switched on. Nothing. disconnected and recommecred, leaving the switch hanging, and its fine. Soon as I mount the switch to the case again, it powers the computer off. Finally traced it to the screws holding the switch together. They must have some current on them, cos they spark when they touch the metal on the case. A bit of electrical tape, and its all working as it should, with the switch neatly mounted on the case side, instead of just swinging free. But now I have a question. How come, although the switch says high, low, medium, I only get 2 speeds out of it? When its on high, I get 6000rpm, and the same on medium, but on low I get around the 4800 mark. Anyone else getting this?

Update...Was just playing Vice City, and MBMs alarm went off telling me my CPU fan was running at 0rpm.:eek: Pulled the power cable out quickly, checked everything was connected properly, and it was, tried rebooting and the fan started up then stopped straight away. Ive now taken the crappy little switch out and connected it via a 3pin-molex convertor, and its working fine, but without the speed control. Must have been the switch causing problems. Luckily the 5 seconds or so my comp was running without a CPU fan doesnt seem to have harmed anything, but thermaltake will be getting a very nasty email of complaint from me about this :mad:

I have the same one. it does do the 3 settings at the corect speeds. must be something wrong with yours. especialy when the screws have current on them:eek:
i would sugest you return it and get another one.

After taking the switch apart, I now know why the screws had current going to them. " of the diodes soldered to the switch are not properly insulated, and one of the legs is touching the screw. Im guessing that this is also why the speed selector wasnt working properly. Luckily, I just finished sealing my shower with silicon sealant, and Ive got some left, so Im going to seal over the diodes with some of that, re-assemble it and see how it goes from there.

everything insulated (diodes smothered in silicon, screws inside rubber sleeves) and its still not working...Ive emailed Thermaltake about getting a replacement...the company I bought it from want the whole HSF sent back before theyll send a new one, and that would leave me without a computer for up to 2 weeks, so thats a last resort.

Back