• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diamond PCI cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

I wondered if anyone could tell me about the OLD diamond PCI cards as I just bought one for 1.01 off ebay. The seller didnt say much about it but it has 64megs of stealth VRAM, dunno why its stealth but it sounds well cool. Cheers.

I'm sorry but what that seller really meant was a 64 bit Diamond Stealth PCI . These came with 2 to 4 megs of DRAM or VRAM , I have a 2 meg one which is still functional . There are also 32 bit Diamond Stealth cards and 32 bit Diamond Speedstar cards as well as 64bit Speedstar cards which came with 1 to 4 megs of ram .

None of these featured any 3d and are just VESA SVGA 2D cards . Very good back in the day but only suitable for low res 2d unless you have the 4 meg versions .

By the way ........... VRAM is a nebulous term , it can be used to mean any form of ram on a videocard but it also stands for a type of ram which was faster than DRAM and EDORAM and was also quite expensive in its heyday . So until you see it , it is debateable which type of 'VRAM' is coming with your card .

I used to have one of the 4 meg versions. This was back when the Pentium was just becoming popular. Its probably good enough to play any old DOS game, but a $1 video card is a good deal no matter what card it is.

It all depends on what it is being used for , server , office apps , answering machine or home automation would all be good uses for a computer equipped with such a card .

Thanks for the replies fellas, I got the card and it does wor but thats about it! I tried playing half life on it and the frame rate was appaling. Im jus finding it fun taking the 2 meg 'expansion' off it. the thing is about the size of a laptop . Bit of history eh?

Back