• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E to SATA 3 card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Hi,

I have Samsung 750 500GB SATA 3 SSD and I need SATA 3 to PCI/E 4x to SATA 3 card that is bootable. The motherboard is an Asus P7H55/USB3 with a free PCI-E 2.0 8x port but running at 4x at 2.5GT speed. Note 2.5GT is equivalent in speed to PCI-E v1.0 even though it is PCI-E v2.0; therefore each channel on the motherboard supports about 250MB/s so all four channels will give me 1 GB/s; That's why I'm looking for a 4X card. The onboard SATA 2 ports are giving me about 250MB sustained read.

I'm fitting in old parts such as this SSD from a failed laptop and an old GTX 1070 lying around to modernise this PC a bit. It an got a i5-760 @3.6GHz, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD. I'm using it for iRacing, PlaystationVR headset, Ivry, OpenTrack with a TrackIR TrackClip Pro and PS Eye3 camera with IR bandpass filter mod (6 DOF head tracking).

Thanks
Haider

What's wrong with the integrated SATA ports? There are six SATA3 6 Gbps ports on it (says the manual). An SSD should boot from there and run full speed, no problem....

Make sure your SSD is on the NATIVE SATA ports and not the 3rd party controller/ports (if it has any), as those are slower. But yeah, you have plenty of SATA ports onboard already that fit the bill.... figure out why your SSD is only working at half the potential speed as the ports support its max. ;)

Hi,

The manual says SATA 3.0
What's wrong with the integrated SATA ports? There are six SATA3 6 Gbps ports on it (says the manual). An SSD should boot from there and run full speed, no problem....

Make sure your SSD is on the NATIVE SATA ports and not the 3rd party controller/ports (if it has any), as those are slower. But yeah, you have plenty of SATA ports onboard already that fit the bill.... figure out why your SSD is only working at half the potential speed as the ports support its max. ;)
The manual says 'SATA 3.0 Gb/s', that's SATA v2.0, SATA v3.0 is 6Gb/s

Oof, sorry. Misread that I thought it said SATA3, not 3 Gbps.

Wouldn't any PCIe card do? Is your board able to boot off PCIe?

How does that old, low-clocked quad play? I wonder if all that you're doing is getting the horsepower it needs!

Last edited:
Oof, sorry. Misread that I thought it said SATA3, not 3 Gbps.

Wouldn't any PCIe card do? Is your board able to boot off PCIe?

How does that old, low-clocked quad play? I wonder if all that you're doing is getting the horsepower it needs!
From what I have read the card must have BIOS. No idea if the MB can boot up from PCI-e; I just thought if the card has a low-level BIOS then it should be bootable, I may have turn the onboard SATA off in the MB BIOS.

It's funny I thought the same thing. It had 7970 GHz Edition overclocked to 1.185GHz and it got a minimum frame rate of over 60FPS in Dirt Rally. So that got me thinking, what I would get with the 1070, it may well allow the running of more GPU based effects. I'll have to set up some logging of the CPU to see, how it goes. Half of the fun will be in the tinkering...

I think you need to have the option to point it to the PCIe slot as well. Maybe ask Asus and confirm beforehand.

A 7970 GHz edition, even overclocked, is a lot slower than a 1070. I'd imagine you can use ultra on games to help. But yeah, we've seen reviews that quad cores hold back FPS, but so long as you're getting what you need out of it, I'd call it working!

I think you need to have the option to point it to the PCIe slot as well. Maybe ask Asus and confirm beforehand.

A 7970 GHz edition, even overclocked, is a lot slower than a 1070. I'd imagine you can use ultra on games to help. But yeah, we've seen reviews that quad cores hold back FPS, but so long as you're getting what you need out of it, I'd call it working!

I use an i7-4960X, ROG Rampage IV Formula with an 512GB NVMe (BIOS mod) & 32GB ram at the moment my daughter has it. I'll be taking out the 1070 from here, thinking of getting a used 2080 Super or a new 4060 when they launch. Looks like that will not happen this year, so I'm just biding my time. I'm beefing up her system for Roblox, Minecraft & YouTube:)

Anyone else having this issue: -
ASUS P7P55D-E PRO and only the PRO version for USB3 & SATA 3 together, the non PRO version you have to choose between USB3 or SATA 3. ASUS ROG Maximus Extreme III and only the EXTREME not the Formula...

Back