• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

I'm planning on hosting a dedicated Tribes 2 server this Friday, and was wondering what I should limit the players to. I'm hoping at least 32, but would like to go all the way up to 64 if its possible. I've got cable internet, and it'll be hosted on:

2x 1700xp's @ 1875mhz each
768mb ddr

The other thing to consider is that i'll also be using that computer to play, so how much will that limit everything? I'm new to running a game server, but am basically just looking for a rough estimate of max. players.

-CPFitz-

The most important thing when hosting a game server is upload bandwidth. Many cable connections have very little upload bandwidth (compared to their download), and therefore, can have only a few players before performance drops. How much upload bandwidth do you have?

For comparision purposes, I used to host a game server (MOHAA, I'm not sure how its bandwidth usage compares to that of Tribes) and with 1000 Kbs upload, I could host around 10 ~ 12 players before the lag started.

Playing on the same computer that will be running the server also limits performance.

Hmm... I'm only getting ~100kbps upload, should I be worried now, or did you add an extra zero by mistake?

-CPFitz-

Nope, 1000 kbs is correct for my upload. For some reason, my ISP gives more than average.

I would highly doubt that 100kbps gets you anywhere close to 32 players. I'm not familar with Tribes 2, but you're probably looking at the < 10 players range :(

if you are getting 100 up you probably have a 128 upload cap. Like Titan said....thats gonna be just a couple people

Might as well try, maybe it will give decent gameplay. But in most of the games I've played, 100 kbs will get you no more than four players :(

BTW, this is why those game server hosting places stay in business. Even with those sky high prices they often have, for a lot of people, they are the only option.

Back