• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aorus b450m cpu support question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Hey guys.

Planning to build a pc for my father in law. this will be his first new pc since like 2005 so anything i buy is going to be a significant upgrade haha. he says he just wants to do some basic internet stuff like youtube and all that which isn't very demanding, but im hoping with a new machine he might get back into some light video editing and stuff as well.
he doesn't game at all. though he might if he had the ability to... hard to say he is turning 99 lol.

the budget is $1000 cdn and this is the currently proposed build list;

R5 2600
Gigabyte Aorus b450m
16gb corsair vengence 3200
500gb intel 660p
thermaltake h15 case *cheap and has a dvd slot and isn't a deathtrap to work on*
thermaltake smart standard 550w

this is where things diverge a bit.....

I was thinking of picking up a gigabyte gtx1650 because it has dual hdmi.. he wants to use this with his tv mostly i think, but i also want to get him a brand new desktop display.. so the dual monitor support with hdmi is a plus..

another avenue im considering is the R5 3400g as the onboard graphics are quite good for general use and very light gaming. all i really care about is that it accelerates windows 10 and doesn't bog in videos for him ect. i'm pretty sure the 4c8t is tons for him but would the 3400g work on this b450 board without any fuss? since it isn't a zen2 part would i still have to get memory express to flash it for me?

if i didn't have to get him a dedicated gpu i could spend money on other things like a much nicer monitor, keyboard/mouse ect.. if i wait and get a 2600 then i couldn't really afford any of that with having to buy a gpu.

i guess the other issue with using the onboard graphics is having to buy an hdmi slitter... but since the montior im considering is 1080p and his tv is 1080p im sure that would work fine and its a lot less expensive than a gpu haha.

I'm thinking the 3400g will give you plenty of GPU umph for doing what you describe. Besides, if it doesn't, you can always add a discrete video card.

As far as whether or not the Aorus B450 will support Ryzen 3000 series without needing a bios update, I think it sort of depends on where you buy the board from. I just recently bought the same board from newegg and it was already flashed to the most recent bios (F50). If you get from a store site that might have older inventory, I would guess it might still be possible to get one without Ryzen 3000 series support. You might also try to contact the store you are considering purchasing from and asking specifically. I actually bought both my cpu and motherboard from newegg hoping that they would note the need for Ryzen 3000 support. Not sure if it worked, or I got lucky. :)

i really dont think newegg does anything other than take it off the shelf in the warehouse and put it in a box for you lol but.... maybe someone smart noticed haha. im planning to go into memory express on sunday in victoria to buy all the stuff so hopefully the counterstaff i get is actually smart and can find out when i buy it and take it in the back and flash if not heh.

turns out the 2600 isn't in stock in victoria and id have to get it from vancouver.. but meh. i think ill just get him a 3600 and downgrade the gpu to the most basic one. bouncing back and forth between this gigabyte board and the cheaper asus prime since there wont be any overlocking ever... but its only $20 difference... also thinking of downgrading to the ddr4 2400 but again, only $20 difference... just really trying to get him into a nice ips 24" monitor since he has a really old tn panel heh.

Yes, I agree that Newegg most likely just pulls it off the shelf, but they likely have high enough volume that you are buying stuff that has been re-stocked recently rather than sitting on the shelf for a while.

As far as whether or not the Aorus B450 will support Ryzen 3000 series without needing a bios update, I think it sort of depends on where you buy the board from. I just recently bought the same board from newegg and it was already flashed to the most recent bios (F50). If you get from a store site that might have older inventory, I would guess it might still be possible to get one without Ryzen 3000 series support. You might also try to contact the store you are considering purchasing from and asking specifically. I actually bought both my cpu and motherboard from newegg hoping that they would note the need for Ryzen 3000 support. Not sure if it worked, or I got lucky. :)

I have the same mobo, purchased maybe 2 weeks ago, +3600G but BIOS was F40 or F41 so older and it was still supporting the CPU.
In general it's like when on the box is a sticker "Ryzen 3000" then it will support any Ryzen 3000 CPU. The store won't check what BIOS is inside but the sticker is clearly visible or even can be on the photos in the online store.

Back