• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux from widows????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know in Slackware there is what's called zipSlack which installs and runs linux off a FAT32 partition.

You also could create a seperate FAT32, or ext2/ext3 partition, copy or download the distro to that partiton, and then when you are running the installation program when it asked where you are installing from you just point it to that location, and as long all of the installation files are there it will work just like you are installing it from a CD. Using Slackware I have done installations like this, and I'd assume that you could acomplish it under any other disto in a similar manner, though I would assume it would have to be done under the text (or advanced) installation instead of the graphical.

Looks like you are running Windows XP. If those drives are NTFS, then I am pretty sure linux will have to go into a seperate partition. I had an old copy of mandrake that could install some of the needed linux stuff under Windows before a reboot, but that only worked with win 9x variants.

Some distros, like Debian, have a network install feature too. Just make a few floppies, boot off them, then install your operating system off the Internet.

Then of course if you just what to mess around and get a feel for Linux go for Knoppix which will run off the CD

Back