• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone still use VM folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use Virtual OS that would run in the top of my screen I am not Shure Virtual OS is the correct term, but it was running in Linux. Does any people still use this way of folding?

I don't think it was ever used on a larger scale. Most people use graphics cards for folding, and getting high performance on virtual machines has always been a problem.

Same. I don't recall that being popular (but I'm not an avid folder). I can't imagine that being optimal (overhead of a VM on top of everything else). Though Linux is the fastest OS, I'm not sure what the result is PPD-wise running it in a VM instead of native. It sounds like an unnecessary complication for little reason, but I'm interested to hear what the F@H experts have to say.

Those VMs that I know use unoptimized drivers for graphics cards. It was a pain to pass through any 3D driver in the past, and only some GPUs were working. It was improved recently, but I doubt it works well enough to be worth it.

Same. I don't recall that being popular (but I'm not an avid folder). I can't imagine that being optimal (overhead of a VM on top of everything else). Though Linux is the fastest OS, I'm not sure what the result is PPD-wise running it in a VM instead of native. It sounds like an unnecessary complication for little reason, but I'm interested to hear what the F@H experts have to say.
It was faster from what I can Rember.

It was faster from what I can Rember.
Your remembering correctly.... running the VM either thru a packaged VM+fah setup (All it did was fold) or thru VM Linux and running fah produced more points in Windows. There were many of us that used it if we were committed to having Windows on that PC. Cpu only at the time.

That is in the past now.

Your remembering correctly.... running the VM either thru a packaged VM+fah setup (All it did was fold) or thru VM Linux and running fah produced more points in Windows. There were many of us that used it if we were committed to having Windows on that PC. Cpu only at the time.

That is in the past now.
So folding in a vm 20.04 for 2 gpus the would be the same in win 11 as far as points go.

Ok here is the deal. For some reason I can't detect my Nivida cards in my ubuntu 20.04 it says there are in there, but it says different can someone help me with problem??????Is there an automatic program that I can hit install and it will do all the work?

I think this thread ran its course (thread title asked and answered). To help the OP focus a bit, we'll close this thread and use his Linux setup thread to help setup Linux as requested earlier. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back