• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500 Barton or 1700 Thoroughbred? Questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfiniteThought

These may be fairly simple, go easy on me. :)

After discovering yesterday that my 2100 Athlon can't be over clocked because it's a Palamino core I'm looking to go with an Athlon that I can be over clocked.

My questions:

What's going to give me better over cloked end results for the money, a 2500 ($93 on newegg) Barton or a 1700 ($42 on newegg) Toroughbred?

How much can you over clock a Barton 2500?

Does the Barton's 333Mhz bus speed give it an overwhelming adantage over the 266Mhz Toroughbred? My MB supports the 333Mhz speed, ASUS A7V333 VIA KT333 chip set.

I've read on the forums that there's members with multiple Thoroughbred chips (being unused I would presume), anyone looking to sell? Unfortunately I can't get into the Classified forums w/o 100 posts to find out.

Thanks,

Frank

I consider the two a tie. Currently, the 1700+ max at around 2.5 GHz on air, and the Barton 2500 max at around 2.3-2.4 GHz on air. With its larger 512 KB L2, the system performance is about the same for the two assuming both can be clocked to the best level.

With price consiideration, the 1700+ is a better deal.

But don't get the 1700+ from newegg due to uncertainty about stepping. Get it from svc for $60, they have the 0319 which seems to be a good oc stepping.

Pretty much comes out to how much money you wanna spend/how safe are you feeling.

I, as you see, went the Barton route...specifically cuz I wanted the newer tech (more cache). That's just me though...

Barton 2500 is good also, in terms of power and stability at high Vcore and temp on air if price is not a big consideration:

Originally posted by hitechjb1 (05-22-2003 01:47 AM)
I did some power calculation for Barton, it looks real good compared to the Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C.

Barton 2500+
rated frequency 1833 MHz (FSB 333)
rated voltage 1.65V
current 41.4 A max, 32.5 A typical
power 68.3 W max, 53.7W typical
max die temp 85 C

So if you can oc the Barton to 2.5 GHz at 2V,
active power (typical) = 53.7 x (2 x 2 x 2.5) / (1.65 x 1.65 x 1.833) = 108 W
active power (max) = 68.3 x (2 x 2 x 2.5) / (1.65 x 1.65 x 1.833) = 137 W

Observation:

The active power (typical) of Barton 108 W at 2V is less than that of 1700+ 128 W at 1.9V, assume both oc'ed to 2.5 GHz.
The max power per Vcore of Barton 137 W at 2V is less than the 135 W at 1.9V for the 1700+, assume both oc'ed to 2.5GHz.
I used 2V for Barton and 1.9V for the 1700+.
I think it is because the 1700+ is a high current CPU to begin with, even it is rated at lower Vcore 1.5V.

So in this sense, the Barton is much better, especially if Barton can be oc'ed to 2.4+ GHz and when the price drops lower. The Barton above 2.38 MHz will then be faster than a 1700+ at 2.5 GHz (assuming the 512KB L2 has a 5% average performance advantage), and cooler (less power and power density, bigger die area) !!!

Thanks for the responses.

Is there a website out there that compares over clocked AMD CPU's via benchmark. Does an over clocked AMD CPU perform comparably to a retail sold CPU of the same clock speed, assuming all else is equal.

InfiniteThought said:
Thanks for the responses.

Is there a website out there that compares over clocked AMD CPU's via benchmark. Does an over clocked AMD CPU perform comparably to a retail sold CPU of the same clock speed, assuming all else is equal.

AMD Retail box CPU and OEM CPU should have the same chance of good overclocking. Main factor for good oc is the stepping and not retail or oem version. Most think the 0310 and 0319 week XPMW, WPMW steppings are good for overclocking.

The Sandra CPU reference list is a good list for both AMD and Intel CPU, and each shows you the integer DMIPS and floating point FLOPS benchmarks.

I would think that they are almost a tie, but with barton prices coming down it will soon be the winner. I think the $80 price point for the 2500+ is where I would buy it over the 1700+.

Back