• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Todays Menu: Fried RAM w/ a side of toasted CPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackw

Does any one know what a fried processor smells like? I think I might have fried my 1700+XP. I had just installed it in an Asus A7V266 after having trouble with my RAM stick, 256 Kingston value-ram, it wouldn't POST in the Asus but it is in my MSI 6390 that i am using right now, go figure.
Anyway I got the Asus up and rinnnig with a PNY 256 stick but I wanted to put a 512 stick in it. So when I shut down i forgot to pull the power supply cord. Right as i was putting the 512 stick in the damn computer started up. I immediately pulled the power cord out but my RAM was half way in. Not knowing what else to do i finished installing the RAM and powered the computer up. All the fans came in but nothing happened. Within seconds i smelled the distinct scent of buring plastic so naturally i pulled the plug. I gave evrything a once over but couldn't find any melting or anything. I even pulled the HSF and nothing. Now my 512 stick doesn't work in the MSI either. So what do think happend, did i fry my RAM? my CPU? or my MB? or all 3? How do i find out? I really don't want to put another RAM stick in the Asus to try it agian, or another processor.

Burnt processor smells like plastic. At least thats what the 5 i burned up smelled like

Could trying clearing the CMOS and hope all is well

Jen

ya try clearing the cmos then stick another stick of ram in it then cpu its a process man none of us like to do it but it happens the guy above me did it at least 5 times and i my self have done it like 4 times

Thanks guys. I just ordered a new notebook from dell and it should arrive today so i think i will probably put the asus on the backburner for now. When I get more time i will start messing with it some more. BTW when you say clear the CMOS do you mean pulling the battery for a minute or two?

you have to remove the cmos jumper and put it back. some people say remove the battery to, i never do and it works just fine

Back