• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need mATX MB with agp slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

No, I showered
I'm trying to locate one. Preferably Socket A, thought Socket 478 will also work. It's got to have onboard sound and LAN as well as an AGP slot. I'll even take Socket 370 if I have to, though I'd prefer faster.

Oh yeah, and it's got to be no bigger than flex ATX size, roughly 24 x 20 cm.

If it doesn't have an AGP slot then it's going to make this thing pretty much useless for a LAN rig. :-(

Check Newegg. :rolleyes: They have a good selection of mAtx Athlon boards. One of my all-time favorites is the Asus A7N266-VM. Fantastic onboard sound, onboard LAN, and even an onboard GeForce2 MX. However, I just checked out Newegg and they have this:

Chaintech 7NIL1-Summit

It's got everything you need.

And can use... :-( I've not had a lot of luck so far. A discontinued i815E motherboard at directron is all I've found so far.

I've been shopping for Flex ATX boards for 7 months now and the only (exceptionally rare) ones I've found with AGP slots are Socket 370. Flex ATX is not just a dimensional limitation, it's also a limit to how much power the motherboard requires. So you're not going to find a Flex ATX board that supports Socket A or Socket 468, that also has an AGP slot.

Gigabyte however manufactures non-standard Flex ATX barebones machines (the G-Max) with motherboards matching the specs you're looking for. I'm unsure what the dimensions of the boards themselves are. But they're pretty pricy and include a case and PSU which you probably don't need.

Sapphire A3-M275 mATX Motherboard

It is 24.4cm x 22.5cm, has an AGP slot, and is Socket A. Better yet, it is only $55 + $5 S&H from www.NewEgg.com. It is about as small as your going to get with an AGP slot. Good luck..

any way you could strech the req. to 24x 20... the extra 2cm will let you run microATX and they pretty much all have AGP

No way. I've measured the case and 20x24 is IT. I mean, it's not like I'm out a lot of money on the case if I can't get it to work. I only paid like $4/ea for them.

Here's pics of the case.

directron_1746_40014263

ENInside

ENBack

Not much to work with I know and it's going to require a fair bit of modding to make it work. If anyone's got any ideas, I'm open to them here. In fact, I'm issuing an open ocforums call for ideas for these cases (besides folding box or something). I've got two of them to work with.

I've seen a couple Socket 468 FLex ATX boards on eBay (most of them made by Tyan) that will fit that case. But they don't have AGP slots due to power restrictions.

Maybe you could settle for a PCI Radeon 7500 or 9500 low profile card.

I may have to settle for PCI. If I could get a Radeon 9500 I suppose that might work. Or perhaps I should hang onto them for another year or so and get a PCI Express video card. LOL.

I just built the A7N266-VM into a backpack recently, and I must say that I'm impressed by its performance, even with a mere Duron 850. BTW, the dimensions for that board are 24.5cm x 24.5cm. Are you sure you only have 24cm x 20cm? That seems like an awfully nonstandard size, since most mATX boards are on the order of 24cm square, from what I've seen. (Okay, I'm rereading your post a bit now -- that looks about right, and I didn't see the "flex atx" part. Sorry!)

Next question: How likely is it that you could mod your case for the extra 4.5cm of space? (roughly 1.75 inches) For example, you could REMOVE the CD-ROM mounting area and use an extern USB CD-ROM drive.

Just a couple of thoughts ... Good luck -- it looks like you have a fun project! -- Paul

I'd say it's really not at all practical. The whole case is only about that size. :-/ I have a feeling that I'm going to either be stuck with Socket 370 or with onboard graphics or waiting for PCI Express to come along and hope I can find a motherboard with those slots that's small enough. Who knows, maybe by then the mini-itx movement will be far enough along to have more support.

Hmm, I suppose you could go with a via EPIA board, although they don't have AGP.

Sorry to hear that cutting the CDROM wouldn't work. Another nice benefit to that would be that you could share the drive between the two machines as needed...

Well, at any rate, good luck, and please let us know how you come out with it. -- Paul

Oh, I realize it won't be the same mechanically. But I'm gonna have to cust an opening for the vid card there anyways, so that's no big deal. I'd wait and get a PCI Express video card once the more mainstream models are available in it.

Well, I suppose that if nothing else it might work for a machine for my bedroom since I won't be doing any gaming on that.

Hmm, a cookier idea: have you considered mounting the mobo tray diagonally? That should get you a few more centimeters ...

-- Paul

That IS pretty out there. I HADN'T thought about that, though if I did that I'm not sure where I'd put my drives then.

Back