• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My GF4 I ordered won't work!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alphawolf

Registered
O.K...I patiently waited for my AGP Abit Siluro GF4 MX-SE with high hopes. It came today, and I can't get Windows (XP) to load with it! I get the Windows XP logo to flash for a couple of seconds and then I get the "windows failed to start properly" message asking if I want to start in either safe mode or normaly. It won't let me start in either mode! I take the GF4 out, and it reboots normal. I tried to take the existing card(an integrated savage 32mb card) out in device manager by disableing it and removing it's drivers, then putting the GF4 in and rebooting, but no dice. I downloaded the most current drivers from Abit, but doesn't help. I can't even get through the new driver installation without it telling me "no device found" Any ideas???:mad:

PreservedSwine said:
What type of AGP slot is in that mobo? (Type and voltage)

voltage/type incompatibility isn't a problem, since if this was a 2x slot and 8x card, the card would've not worked at all.

That is definetly a big problem. Does the AGP slot work with other AGP cards? IF it does it may be the card. If it does not then that means that you have a bad AGP slot and are probably going to have to replace the motherboard. As others have said it will not run if the built video is on, turn it off in BIOS. I hope this will help.

Thank You,
Daniel

Turning off a video card in the bios

this is a new Compaq computer I bought for my kids. Mobo type is unknown. Question is...(yeah, I'm a newbie) where do I turn off the existing card? I go into "setup" on posting, right? Where from there? I found the choice of booting from pci or agp card there, and selected "AGP" is there more to do? Thanks

my dads has the same option, it proably wont work, it didnt work on his when I tryed it. did the pc come with a manual? If so it should be in there somwhere on how to turn it off, if not then, you are probably gonna have to call compaq and ask them. (hopefully someone smart answers th phone :rolleyes: )

Back