• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

about UPS systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[EG]~NaTz~

i plan on building a UPS system into a dresser or something in my house. well i need to know how. i plan on using marine acid cell battery's, ive heard they last longer than car batterys, and hold up quite well to use. but i was wondering if anyone know how to actually build a UPS.

Using a car or marine battery inside a house is a very bad idea. They not only give off poisinous gas but can explode also, and they're full of acid.

www.epanorama.net for links to schematics.

Sounds dangerous, even if the battery is sealed and can't blow up from a spark. Unsealed batteries also give off acid fumes.

Sometimes you can get sealed lead-acid batteries cheap from a security system supply house.

Marine batteries are one possible choice. Another option is golf cart batteries, but since they're usually 6 volts instead of 12, you'd need two of them. Look for "sealed" or "maintenence-free" batteries, as regular lead-acid batteries will give off explosive hydrogen fumes. Just to be safe, don't put the batteries in an enclosed area like a drawer or closet where hydrogen can build up.

Further notes for using a homebuilt UPS: When you're running your computer off battery power, turn it off before the battery reaches a 50% discharge level. Marine and golf cart batteries are more resistant than car batteries to damage from being discharged too far, but they're still expensive to replace.

Back