• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Layer 7 Packet Shaping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PolyPill

In my spare time I've been playing with the fairly new layer 7 traffic shaping stuff. At my work we use a lot of packet shapers from packetteer (I think that's who makes it), and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it's proformance and flexibility, although I don't see it replacing the hardware packet shapers. At least not right now. I think the setup needs to be a lot easier, a nice web front end would do it wonders. Also, if the hardware ones crash they just turn into a wire as to not take down your network. To my knowledge this is not possible if you're routing through a server. Has anyone else tried this out yet? I'm thinking about setting one up at my house so I can put my bf1942 packets above bit torrent.

http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/

No no no. I've already set one up at my work which I was paid to do and compare it to our commercil packet shapers which cost around $30,000 each. I just think this would be a great thing to put on a home network, I know everyone has been annoyed when they get low pings because someone is downloading mp3s and crap like that. Also small businesses would benifit greatly from this. No longer will employee use interfere with business related packets.

Back