• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New PC: I need all the advice I can get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jawadali

Hey Guys, I'm going to build my system pretty soon and I need a lot of help and advice. Below is the list of the components I want to include.

All prices are US dollars

Components Type
Case : ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Works Power 430W AMD MP Recommended
Motherboard: Epox 8RDA+
Processor : AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Video Card: Power Color Radeon 9700 128MB
RAM : Buffalo w/Winbond chips PC3200
Hard Drive: 160GB ATA133 8MB (already purchased)
CD-RW : Samsung 48x16x48 8MB buffer (already purchased)
DVD-ROM: DVD 16x CD 48x
Monitor : 19 inch CTX VL950 (already purchased)
Keyboard : Generic
Mouse : IBM Optical Scroll (already purchased)
Speakers: Logitech Z-340 (already purchased)
Fans : 6x80mm Ball Bearing
Fan Controller: Sunbeam 4 channel
Floppy Drive: 1.44MB Black
Heatsink/Fan: Vantec Aeroflow
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver Ceramique

Now I will lst the components I really need help with:

Motherboard: I was thinking about the Epox 8RDA+, but I'm open suggestions. I want something $90 or under, and it should be able to do 200x10 and/or 200x11 (200x12 if I'm lucky) and still be stable. Maybe I can get an 8RDA+ 2.0.

DVD-ROM: I want something that has 16x read for DVDs and 48x read for CDs. I have no idea of what brand I should get. Some brands I can get are: Lite-On, MSI, LG Electronics, Artec, Sony, and Acer/Benq. I'd prefer a black one, but if it isn't is okay. I'll stealth mod it (I'm stealth modding my CD-RW because its beige). Price range is $33-$36

Floppy: I want a black one, and I was looking at Mitsumi and Samsung. Which one is better? Does it really make a difference?

Vantec Aeroflow: Will it keep an XP 2500+ cool at 2.0Ghz and/or 2.2Ghz (400mhz FSB, with Arctic Silver Ceramique)? How about 2.4Ghz?

Thanks a lot. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
The motherboard shouldn't be a limiting factor in MULTIPLIER - you were hoping to a find a mobo to do 200x10, 11, or 12 if you're lucky - it's the cpu that determines multiplier.

The motherboard, ram, and cpu are the determinants in what FSB you can reach, with cpu being the least likely to cause a problem out of those three. Ram and M/B are the 2 major factors in reaching a higher FSB. That said, the Epox is a good board from what I have read. Maybe go read through the AMD M/B section to see what the flavor of the month is. I know the Abit NF7 V 2.0 is popular too.

Lite-On makes DVD drives for a whole SLEW of other 'manufacturers', who actually just rebadge the Lite-On drives. Can't go wrong, basically.

Floppy drive is a floppy drive is a floppy drive.

Back