• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make a cable modem more kbps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only legal way to do it is to use the many optimisations out there, however i dont know how well they work.:)

There's utilities to let you reprogram the firmware on the cable modem, but you get in big trouble if you are caught, and I think the isp is usually checking and reuploading the old one every few minutes anyways.

Another thing to bear in mind is how many people share the same cable line. It may be quicker to download stuff overnight if you are downloading ISOs and things.

Try the tweaks mentioned as well, they might help.

But uncapping a cable modem is illegal, dishonest and discussing how to do it is against the rules of this forum.

But uncapping a cable modem is illegal

Is it? Crap I hope the fbi goes easy on people. I missed the federal law on that, it sounds really unfair. If I own a cablemodem I should be able to put whatever I want in the firmware.

Yea, its against the terms of service with the provider though.

XWRed1 said:

Is it? Crap I hope the fbi goes easy on people. I missed the federal law on that, it sounds really unfair. If I own a cablemodem I should be able to put whatever I want in the firmware.

Heh, maybe it isnt illegal, I got that wrong lol.

Its still not allowed, as you said.

This is also illegal if you "uncap" a cable modem. Its considered pirating bandwidth and if your cable ISP cathes you doing this they will disconnect your ISP. I never thought of making "your own modem" hehe. I dont know if its even possible because of the parts you will need that can only be bought from the modem company and brand. Besides.. if you are on DSL your bandwidth is limited so it doesnt matter what modem you have. Dont take my advice on uncapping your cable modem cause you will regret it. Just like when my friend got sick of his 56k (everyone does and eventually happens to everyone) he tried to "shotgun" his 56k modem doubling the speed but taking a chance of frying his 3com 56k modem up hehe.

I never thought of making "your own modem" hehe.

Neither did I. I was thinking like if I were to walk into Best Buy and buy my own cablemodem.

This is also illegal if you "uncap" a cable modem.

I don't think its illegal past the fact you could be violating a (maybe legal?) contract with the isp.

what do you mean by "shotguning" his 56k modem?

Use two modems to dial up rather than one. ISP has to support it. You get double bandwidth. I don't see why there'd be any risk frying a modem, its doing the same thing as when not shotgunning.

XWRed1 said:

I hope its severe.

Tampering with a cable modem is illegal. Against the law. The FCC regulates the cable modems and if you tamper with the signaling or otherwise "modify" it, you are committing a federal offense.

-Bobby

Bobby said:
Tampering with a cable modem is illegal. Against the law. The FCC regulates the cable modems and if you tamper with the signaling or otherwise "modify" it, you are committing a federal offense.

-Bobby

You have a link on this?

Yeah you definetly don't want to screw around.

Someone I know got his own uncapped modem and did some more stuff and had around 40000/xxxx connection and the cable company came to his door the next day. So I guess my point is don't screw around before you are stuck on 56k for the rest of your life.

Ok, so the fcc has decided cable internet service is under thei jurisdiction. The page doesn't seem to say anything about changing the firmware or uncapping your modem, unless it was buried in some of the legalese there.

FunkDaMonkMan said:
what do you mean by "shotguning" his 56k modem?

I've never heard of this.
it won't damage the modems, but it is basicly what XWRed1 said. When ever my little brother isn't home i use his phone like and get connect speeds of 92 kbs, and can download at 10 kb. Alot better than normal 56k

XWRed1 said:
Ok, so the fcc has decided cable internet service is under thei jurisdiction. The page doesn't seem to say anything about changing the firmware or uncapping your modem, unless it was buried in some of the legalese there.

I think its more that there are laws stating that all things like this must be compliant with the FCC regulations. If you alter something so that it no longer meets those requirements. Then you are breaking the law.

Back