• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help/advice on converting to linux....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

Ok, i have been using Linux for couple yrs but i only use it for server/workstattion. I found *Nix family is way more advance than windows in that cat. However i still has to use my main comp (development comp) with Windows due to some of my programs cant run on Linux (such as Macromedia Studio MX..)

And i can find some replacements for other programs i've been using but Macromedia Studio MX is my favo and there isnt anything better.

I have checked Macromedia site, and here is my concern:

1. If i use Wine emulator does it perform just as well as it does in Windows? If there is a performace lost then how much? (i emailed Macromedia, and its perfectly legal as long as i remove the copy on my windows)

2. On their site, they have a Mac OS X 10 version. So i wonder is that version under unix binaries? since Mac OS X 10 is unix based OS. If so can i use that version on Unix? Someone please clear this out for me (I email them asking about switching version and they agreed to do that with no charge)

I'm really looking for a best solution, and i hope to have helps/advices from you guys :D

I'm aiming at Gentoo/FreeBSD/my-own-linux-combined-of-both

Thankx,
MameXP

MameXP said:

1. If i use Wine emulator does it perform just as well as it does in Windows? If there is a performace lost then how much? (i emailed Macromedia, and its perfectly legal as long as i remove the copy on my windows)

There is going to be a performance loss. Also, remember that Wine is still very much in development, so it may act somewhat strangely. It's possible that some features may not work correctly, or cause the program to crash.

I personally would not want to work on anything important in an application being run through Wine. My experience is that Wine is not very stable. But, its worth a try; I suggest you give it a shot before making any judgements.

Ye i will give it a shot. But i cant remove the copy on my Windows. I have a linux box (piii-500) so i'm thinking using it to try with Wine. Can i use the copy i have on it for like few days to try, then remove it? (as the copyright says i can only owns one copy)

Hmm so the solution 1 doesnt look promising. ANy better ideas? If worst come to worse i may have to stick with windows..(luckyly i can have winXP for free at my university)

MameXP,

Linux is on a differnet computer than your Windows install? If not, you should be able to mount the Window drive and load up Macromedia Studio MX with Wine.

Putting it on two computers would give you the opportunity to see if it works before you remove it from Windows, but that's technically a violation of the EULA. I can't adovacte that, but its your choice.

MameXP said:
2. On their site, they have a Mac OS X 10 version. So i wonder is that version under unix binaries? since Mac OS X 10 is unix based OS. If so can i use that version on Unix? Someone please clear this out for me (I email them asking about switching version and they agreed to do that with no charge)

I'm willing to be my life that you won't get those binaries to run under Linux. For starters, the binary was compiled to run on a PowerMac G3 processor or better.

Dang i should have thought of that! Gee so stupid forgot the hardware compatibility...

Looks like i will have to stick with Windows for a looooooooong time

Thankx tho

MameXP,

Back