• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not much has changed, has it....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark Larson

Disabled
I was going through Ars OpenForum's archives and a clear vein stood out - people were very mistrusting of AMD and the Athlon even when it was at its peak, and there were people recommending to buy a slower P3 even if it was more expensive because "with Intel you're gonna get a quality and stable product, even if it means having to pay a little more"
And, of course, the line that grated most on me: "you get what you pay for" :mad:

Now i don't know why i'm getting ****ed off about it and trying to be an AMD cheerleader but i just can't stand it when people refuse to believe that a [relative] upstart can do something and put out a better product.
When the newer P4s came out, all the people who disliked AMD for some reason immediately began crowing about thermal throttling, heatspreader and memory bandwidth (although they could probably not afford the RDRAM). Seems not much has changed.

It amazes me that there are so many informed people who support Intel when they've been wrong so many times (all the glaring bugs in the chips, trying to foist stuff like RDRAM onto the consumers, etc etc)

As i said before, i don't know why i appear to be cheerleading for AMD, but i just like the company - not that they're benevolent or anything, but they consistently put out good stuff with Intel's weight trying to crush them and still manage to keep alive.

There's something about CPUs and Video cards that draws out the inner fanboy in everybody. :eek:

I agree that AMD processors have a somewhat undeserved reputation for poor stability. But it's not just about processors. Many of AMD's chipsets have been lackluster and certainly a lot of the 3rd party chipsets had serious stability issues. This translates to unstable systems (even if the processors in those systems are solid). AMD processors also seem to find their way into cheap systems. And with too cheap computers, you do indeed get what you pay for.

Regarding Intel, I don't remember _anyone_ having anything good to say about throttling, heatspreaders, and bandwidth when the P4 first came out. It wasn't until much later that those things started to become recognized as benefits.

And every chip design firm has bugs in their chips from time to time. Ever since the floating-point divide flaw, Intel has been very open and direct about their bugs. I'm sure AMD's had a bug or two over the years as well. Just because they haven't publicly acknowledged any recent bugs doesn't mean none ever existed.

I used to be one of those ignorant people who didnt want to here the word AMD, i just did a complete system overhaul and was gonna buy Intel until i did some research on AMD. Now im a happy AMD camper and when people ask me what i have they give me this strange look as to what the hell is that is it some code name for Intel hehe...

(all the glaring bugs in the chips, trying to foist stuff like RDRAM onto the consumers , etc etc)

OMFG SOMEONE ACTUALLY SAID IT!!!

Some one else thinks the same way I do....

(Now all you ppl who didnt know about this know why they went to DDR after RDRAM didnt do so well cuz it was 2 a**h0les and 3 legs to buy, so they went RDRAM and DDR)

This is such a true topic words cant even explain it...

No one here including my self are/is flaming a AMD vs INTEL topic, just stating the facts

Back