• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buck for Buck Cheapest overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok guys I've been getting into 3d lately with lightwave and want to set up a couple box's to render stuff for me and other people. So I want to know what best value overclocked setup could be. Right now I'm thinking the celeron 2ghz. I've seen it overclocked to like 3.5ghz with just air cooling. I wouldn't mind being able to overclock her to like 2.5+ghz and keep her stable. So what's the cheapest overclock setup that you can think of just so I can get the fastest renders for the cheapest buck. Please list the cpu and motherboard if you decide to let out a few secrets :)
Duck

Also I was wondering if Hyper threading is all that it is cracked up to be. I'm looking at a p4 2.4ghz processor with hyperthreading. If that chip only cost $172 and a 2ghz celeron is about $70. Then 1x2.4 with (HT) should outrender 2x 2ghz celerons overclocked right? Assuming HT is all that it's suppose to be.

BTW for rendering or encoding things cache really isn't that important because all of the information is streaming so the most important factor concerning cache would be the speed of it.
Duck

if you are using lightwave extensively i would definately stay with a p4. it is very highly optimized for p4's. even a 1.6a does better than a xp3200+ in lightwave.

i would go for the 2.4c deal for 146.00 shipped found here

wow I wonder how long that is good for. I don't want to get the chip until i can get a board and ram to put it in.

do you know of any decent boards for the p4 that will let me OC it a bit and not run me too high? Starting to look like a good deal.

I've found the Asus P4S800 for $90 that I see has gotten some good overclocks. If anyone knows of a cheaper board that will still let me OC I'd appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
you can try the ABIT bh7... it's an 845 chipset with a kamikazee NB heatsink, but if you have fast ram for it to run 1:1 it's like 3 bucks cheaper :D.
otherwise, the springdale motherboards are what you want.

Hum even if it runs at 3.5Ghz it will still be a celeron, and that's not good, it's like tuning up your lawnmower until you can redline it at 12,000 RPM, it sounds impressive but will never do you any good at a traffic light. ;)

Road Warrior

RoadWarrior said:
Hum even if it runs at 3.5Ghz it will still be a celeron, and that's not good, it's like tuning up your lawnmower until you can redline it at 12,000 RPM, it sounds impressive but will never do you any good at a traffic light. ;)

Road Warrior

Beat me to it. While yes, speed matters, it isn't the most important. Celeron's don't quite "pack the punch" that Pentium 4's do.

-CPFitz-

yes but this is for rendering where things like a large cache size don't matter. I think I am going to go with a p4 2.4 ghz and overclock it once I find aboard for it.

ToiletDuck said:
yes but this is for rendering where things like a large cache size don't matter. I think I am going to go with a p4 2.4 ghz and overclock it once I find aboard for it.

Cache size doesn't matter? Are you rendering absurdly simple images, or does Lightwave not take advantage of the spatial coherence of the models?

well when encoding and rendering most things are streaming and do not require reoccurance. And I've asked all over the newtek forums and they have told me that cache doesn't really matter except for the speed of it. A guy at www.cgtalk.com and I have ran some test that show size really doesn't. He has two 800mhz xeons with 2mb cache and I had dual athlon XP 2000+'s for it and the rendering done was proportional in time.

Back