• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

one stick of 512 or two of 256?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For overclocking issues, generally the least amount of ram sticks is better. I'm running dual channel atm, with 2x512. I have heard alot about dual channel not benifiting AMD boards as much as intel boards due to the arcitecture. I haven't taken the time to test this. If you don't have a board supporting dual channel, definently use 1 stick of 512.

I'm using a gygabyte ga-7vaxp

Compusa has a rebate for pny pc2700 512 so the price is about 50 bucks.. I ended up going with that.

Thanks for your help!!

Hey it was cheap...
I was able to post my xp2100+ at 1.9
but I don't have great cooling yet so it didn't stay stable.

(edit) does anyone know what brand THIS is?

WHOO HOO!! I've got TWO stars!

(edit again) I'm stable at 1911 after a small volt increase but I might bring it down I'm at 49-50deg little hot for my blood... but still *ok* :rolleyes:

Last edited:
2x256mb is by far better than sinlge channel 512mb provided your mobo supports dual channel.
I did read that there is some sort of speed rating and most 256 is rated at 2.0 and most 512 is 2.5 but for $50 the price spoke out to me a little louder then 0.5 speed difference.

Thanks for your input!

Back