• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual P-Pro 200 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RPM_Computing

Hey all,

A guy in town has a Dual Pentium Pro 200 complete system for sale less the mouse and keyboard for $100.00, I placed an offer for $80.00... Do any of you think it is worth it? I have never owned a dual system and I know it is kinda old but I think it might be fun to play around with it.

Your thoughts are appreciated:)

Rick.

Here are the system spec's:

Dual Pentium PRO 200MHz with 512K cache / CPU
128MB RAM
4.3GB SCSI Hard Drive
3.5" Floppy
CD-ROM Drive
PCI Video card
10/100baseT Network Card
Sound card
Digital DOC 5.0 Heat Monitor in a 5.25" drive bay
Expansion Slot cooler Fan
Eternal SCSI-2 Connector
Removable IDE drive bay with keylock
Running RedHat Linux 7.3 - tracer
Full Tower Case (covered in stickers) - ATX

I found a similiar computer locally for about the same amount. I didnt end up getting it cause i am working on a second computer already but if i had the cash i would get it. Just for the sake of having a dually.

As long as you have some use for it, it's definitely worth it. PPros are pretty cheap, but their motherboards usually aren't.

Great, thanks for the input! I think i'll pick it up and see if I can get it to OC a bit and do some folding. I have a AAA-133 RAID controller i want to toss into it and mabey make a web server out of it.

A ppro 200mhz dualie is like a 350 PII, CPU wise. Also I don't think any PPros faster than 200 were ever made, but I a HP Vectra VA that has jumpers taking it to 266 mhz. I've never tried to overclock it. Also in my neck of the woods in the used computer underground market I got a dual capable Compaq Prolient 850R for $70, only thing it's MB only takes, listen to this, EDO ECC Unbuffered Registard 168-pin DIMMs (not 72 pins but 168 pins like SDRAM but EDO isn't SDRAM and they aren't compatible). 440FX chipset BTW. If you system will have 2 processors included its worth the money.

Well, I just talked to the guy selling it and he is willing to take $80.00 cad. :)

Are P-Pro 200's really equivilant to P-II 350's? If they are I will be satisfied for sure! Will probably use the Digital DOC 5.0 Heat Monitor in my Athlon XP System. This should be an interesting night playing with all the old parts.

It's more like a PII 360 if you run NT4 sp6a. PPro was built for NT4 code exclusively. If you can do without USB, that's what I recommend. It flies like greased lighting.

I'd upgrade to 512k L2 cache CPUs too when you can. You don't need the same stepping codes but you should at least have the same MHz and L2 cache size for both.

When the 1Mb L2 cache CPUs get down to $20, I might bite.

I'm running w2k on mine and it's running good but not super fast. Linux is faster.

It's hard to believe I paid over $3K for it six years ago. Now it's worth ~$200.

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/showproduct.asp?C=4&s=75

Last edited:
System already has 2 x 200 512k cpu's :) and the board supports up to Pro CPU 300MHZ! Yay!!

Mandrake 9 is already loaded but I do also have NT 4.0 that I can load on. I know it's an oldie but I am excited! :D If I can get a pair of 200's with 1meg cache for a reasonable price I think I will go for it, thanks for the link btw.

Time to see how high I can push these old babies!

Make sure to secure all the most updated drivers and bios for that board.

Last edited:
I have located the updates, quite easy for the board, btw the mobo is an iWill DP6NS. I am able to post at 266 mhz, i have not loaded NT on yet, I want to get my RAID controller setup first.

Power supply blew as soon as i bumped up the multi to 233 for the first attempt. Put in a 300 watt psu and it fired up no problem.

That Iwill PPro duallie was a real find. I wish I had one like it. My Micron won't O/C at all. You were in the right place at the right time.

Nice.... if you could get those 1mb cache PPros to run @ 266 or even 300, you just might have the fastest PPro system around :D.

FunkDaMonkMan said:
Nice.... if you could get those 1mb cache PPros to run @ 266 or even 300, you just might have the fastest PPro system around :D.

Hehe, that would be pretty cool even if it is an older system :)

Well I am currently loading Win2K and should have it up and running in about 20 min, i'll post my results as far as stability. I plan on getting the little beast folding so that should be a good test! The one thing I can't believe is how hot these CPU's run at even at stock settings! I might need to wait untill I get an Air Conditioner to push them higher, not sure yet though.

I am having some problems loading NT Workstation as posted in thread: 209857

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=209857

Any insight or link to beta AAA-133 drivers would be appreciated,

tia.

cmcquistion said:
I think he meant that TWO PPro 200's were equivalent to ONE PII 350.
Right, atleast by the speed of my burn in program (not prime95, but distributed.net). A single ppro 200 gets 400,000 key a second, a dual ppro 200 rig gets 760,000 (combined). A single p2 350 (100mhz bus) gets 735,000, a p2 400 gets 800,000. Go figure.

I wonder if NT4-server would support your scsi array better?

Both the hardware and OS are of the same era.

Back