• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual P-Pro 200 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RPM_Computing said:

The one thing I can't believe is how hot these CPU's run at even at stock settings! I might need to wait untill I get an Air Conditioner to push them higher, not sure yet though.

Ppros weigh half a pound. Also look at their dies, they are the biggest I have ever seen of any cpu. Also they use proprietory heatsinks/fans, go on ebay and get a heatsink with a fan. All commercial made ppro machines I have seen use passive heatsinks. Seriously, thoses passive heatsinks decrease your processor life. I ran prime95 for some hours and when I came back my ppro machine's heatsink was too hot to touch, I had to run to a sink and dunk my hand in water. Only use active cooling, unless you have a pure copper heatsink.

Thanks for the tip bulk88.

I do currently have fans on the heatsink and they are helping to keep the temps down, but it is 30 degrese celcius and humid here so mabey i just want the a/c for myself lol.

I do currently have win2k pro running on the system and the CPU's clocked at 240mhz stable. 266 posts but it drops the boot device. I am however experiencing a hard time locating an updated bios for it though, I went to the iwill support page but all of the links are dead for the download. If anyone is able to help me out with the last release from 98 it would be appreciated.

Mobo is: iWill-DP6NS rev:1.0

tia.

I'm thinking of installing NT4 back on mine and see if it works faster than w2k. I no longer need USB support on that machine.

Audioaficionado said:
I'm thinking of installing NT4 back on mine and see if it works faster than w2k. I no longer need USB support on that machine.

I wiped w2k off the system last night and loaded NT4 w/SP6a, explorer 6, and all avalable updates i could locate, it definatly runs 2-3 times faster than w2k. Updating the BIOS fixed the install issues I was experiencing with NT4.

btw, I have 2 instances of F@H running on the system @240mhz and all is well so far.

I have a 3Gb HD that I just formatted to FAT16 and I'm putting NT4 sp6a on it. I'll tripple boot between w2k/Linux & NT4 on two HDs. I'll have to convert both HD's windows patitions to NTFS or FAT16 if I want NT4 to see everything on the both HDs. I'll just use another LAN HD for bulk file strorage.

Once I line up all the NT4 drivers and reflash the BIOS, I'm good to go.

Tim-E T said:
I found a similiar computer locally for about the same amount. I didnt end up getting it cause i am working on a second computer already but if i had the cash i would get it. Just for the sake of having a dually.
I have a few lying around if anyon needs one. I bought 200+ Mb's from a company called megatrends some years back and never finished selling them all.

HEY...Audioaficionado

You should stop giving advice on ppro's cause u don't have a clue what your talking about.

I've been running ppro 200 dually on a supermicro p6dnf @233 for years with no issues.

I throw lan parties and have had up to 8 people loading bin files mapped from the file server while also running those same game executables with absoulutley no lag whatsoever.

I was also serving Half-life @55 FPS at the same time so plz.

Hell i did one 2.5 gig install on it of NWN and ran it from that mapped drive on 4 systems concurrently with zilch lag.

Hueristic said:

I have a few lying around if anyon needs one. I bought 200+ Mb's from a company called megatrends some years back and never finished selling them all.

Stick 'em in the classifieds when you get enough posts. Chances are you get rid of them here :D :rolleyes:

Drop me a PM when you get enough useful posts to post in the classifieds. A couple of 1MB ppros would look really nice in my fileserver.

Hueristic said:
HEY...Audioaficionado

You should stop giving advice on ppro's cause u don't have a clue what your talking about.

NO FLAMING, PERIOD!

You can disagree with someone, without attacking them.

We don't stand for flaming in this forum!

Christoph said:
NO FLAMING, PERIOD!

You can disagree with someone, without attacking them.

We don't stand for flaming in this forum!

LMAO that's not Flameing! I never insulted him. I just told him he doesn't know what he's talking about. Giving bad information to someone is worse than giving none. And I have yet to see a post from him in this thread that is not incorrect. When I found this place it was to ask a question and I expected that whoever answered it would know what they were talking about. I was lucky and got a respoce from a knowledgable individual. But if I had gotten a responce from someone that doesn't know what thier talking about and i made a purchase based on thier incorrect information then you'd really see what a flame is.

Hueristic, it'll take you an unusually long time to get into the classifieds if you keep posting 2-3 posts in a row. Our classifieds are exceptionally safe because our mods are constantly on the lookout for spammers. So far your posts here have been valid separate thoughts, but they could easily be put into two posts instead of five. I'd like to see you in the classifieds, but only if you've earned it.
It's fine to say that a member is wrong, but you have to back it up. If you say that every one of Audioaficionado's posts in this thread is wrong, then quote him and say what you know to be correct. External links are helpful too.

Hueristic said:

LMAO that's not Flameing! I never insulted him. I just told him he doesn't know what he's talking about. Giving bad information to someone is worse than giving none. And I have yet to see a post from him in this thread that is not incorrect. When I found this place it was to ask a question and I expected that whoever answered it would know what they were talking about. I was lucky and got a respoce from a knowledgable individual. But if I had gotten a responce from someone that doesn't know what thier talking about and i made a purchase based on thier incorrect information then you'd really see what a flame is.

It was a flame.

Ed wrote a piece today, that you should read: http://www.overclockers.com/tips00416/

The point is, if you disagree with someone, fine. If you think they are wrong, fine. You can say, "I disagree with you. I think you are wrong about A, B, and C. Here are my reasons.. D, E, F.

You cannot say "You don't know what you are talking about!" or "Everything you say is wrong." That is a flame.

I don't care if you think that someone doesn't know what they're talking about. If you can PROVE that they are WRONG, then PROVE that they are WRONG. Just SAYING that EVERYTHING that someone says is WRONG... then NOT BACKING IT UP with a shred of PROOF, is FLAMING.

I'm not defending Audio's opinion. I don't know if he's wrong or right. If you can prove that he's wrong, then do it.

One of the Primary guidelines of this forum is this: Treat - people - with - respect.

Last edited:
Back