• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have a "safe" computer A.K.A. backup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToledoSteel

I was just wondering, as I fight with multiple hard drive issues on my other machines. If any one else here has a basic machine that they rarely fool around with so they can still use a compter while fixing the others.

I am on mine now since my others are being jerks.

nah i just keep two HD's in each system so i keep my OS and game installs etc on the main and all my data on the 2nd.

I have a dual PPro that folds 99.9% of the time, but is used to go online when my main compy is down.

I think I have 5 in my apartment at the moment. I figure at any given time one will be working (at least, it better if it knows what's good for it...).

I always keep a spare 2.4Gb HD with a clean install of win2k on it just in case. Just swap it in, switch some jumpers, and "boom" up and running again.

RadRacer said:
I always keep a spare 2.4Gb HD with a clean install of win2k on it just in case. Just swap it in, switch some jumpers, and "boom" up and running again.

Ya know, I may just whip one of those up. Nice idea.

rommelrommel said:

Ya know, I may just whip one of those up. Nice idea.

No doubt!! as long as the pc configurations dont change all the time, why not?...I also have my folders to fall back on if the main rig takes a dump. I gotta tell ya I have one rig going on three months now with out a reboot. It's pretty much just a folder so I imagine thats about on par , yea?...........

Got a laptop that I don't mess with too much. I also have a dedicated folder, doesn't have a modem however. I may have to look into rectifying that. :)

I've got 5 computers, two are currently organ donors, one is never used but is slow, one is the AMD k6/2 I recently got, and one is the main rig Im on now.

I just built a dual PPro with a bunch of SCSI drives that's going to be my backup system. I've been lucky recently and haven't had any major HDD issues, but my drives are a little idiosyncratic and I want to be ready when it turns into something worse.

Yes, two, really. I have a 900 Slot A tbird (that i'm posting on right now) and a 1gig slot A tbird that i keep all my media files on. SpaceRangerJoe and I are working on a third one, a 2200+ for game server.

I have my Dell Inspiron 5100...I don't keep files on there though...but I am getting a second hdd, possibly 120gb at least just for storing files...any pieces i had for a second system I gave to my mom when I went home last...it was a nice upgrade for her.
She went from a Celey 466 with 192mb of ram to a 1.35GHz AthlonXP with 256mb DDR...the video card i only an 8mb ATi Rage Pro but thats alright she doesn't game.

I don't really have a back up system. I've got three OSes on my system though, so if one breaks, I just switch to another ;)
That wouldn't help me if I had hardware troubles though...

In the worst case scenario, I could use the computer the rest of my family uses. But considering its a Dell with Windows ME and is infected with assorted spyware that likes to spawn ads on the desktop randomly, I'd only use that thing if it was necessary.

I have two regular use computers (see sig). One is Linux, and one is Win2k. I am planning on doing backups between the two (ie Win2k backups to drive on Linux, and vice versa), but for now the backups are to the same PCs. I always have a system to work with when one of them is busy or I'm upgrading/modifying one of them.

I also got some other PCs I can always use. The PC in my TV room is as good as my other PCs. I also have a P2 I use for recording music. And a K6-2 that needs to be rebuilt. And a few other ancient pieces of hardware that really isn't good for much.

Me and the Wife have our own computers, she dosn't OC or mess around inside the case on hers soif i mess up mine real bad I have a backup to get on line and hunt down the problem.

I have a machine that's dedicated to web surfing and other day-to-day work/activities. I don't consider it a backup since I do make a lot of use of it, but it's not a machine I use for any kind of testing and I don't mess around with it's components a lot. I built it solely for stability and reliablility.

My other four computers are a different story! :D

I also have a 6th computer which is a laptop. I guess you could consider that my "backup" machine. :)

I do have a laptop i could use but i only use it for a word processor. I just keep my main rig in good condition. I was thinking about getting a spare 40GB just to transfer files and keep "just in case." Other then that i don't feel the need to have another one. If i do i will build one for the wife.

Back