• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC-Linux Beta is here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Its done and mostly functional as far as I can tell. Links to download the iso are in the 13th post of this thread.

You should check out www.knoppix.net/docs for general information about knoppix cheatcodes, persistent /home directories to save your personal settings, configging pppoe or dial-up connections, and any other basics about how to use knoppix.

Warning- Knoppix and this remaster of it are not designed with security in mind.

To fix:

Make default action upon logout from KDE be to go to text mode rather than shutdown.

karamba desktop icon - you may have to browse to find its theme. The theme is located a few levels into /data. You'll find it. So you have to launch karamba with the command karamba and then use konqueror to find its theme.

DC scripts- Most of these are now working.

To add:

linux basics guides and docs for the custom scripts
a fluxbox config
some symlinks

Last edited:
I am afraid that I can not help with any of the issues listed in "To Add" as I either don't have that hardware or don't normally use that software.

A thought: would it be easier to use ssh for remote operation? It does require some command line knowledge but it works MUCH better for me than any form of VNC I have tried for linux.

I'm sending PM's now with the link. I don't want to swamp my friend's ftp server by posting the link for everyone- not yet anyway.

To add is stuff I wanted to do, but haven't had time for yet. Just wanted you know that there's room for it to grow and develop...

SSH is on there. VNC is easier for ppl who don't know linux.

To burn I suggest Nero. Close the Wizards, go to the File drop-down menu and choose burn image.

All the custom scripts are in /usr/local/bin So feel free to look at them and try to launch them. I'll try to answer your questions as to what they are supposed to do... Theya re what makes using OC-Linux easy. But seems some of them are not working correctly. Still, you can manually launch the DC clients if needed.

To run multiple boxes on a LAN with this CD, you'll need to:
nano /etc/hostname
(yes, you can alter the config files even though they're burned onto the cd- but the changes disappear when you reboot)
Do that for each box after the first and give it a unique name. The default hostname is knoppix.

Any config file you can't change, but would like to, let me know. I can make it soft-linked to the real file in ramdisk which will be writeable.

To run samba:

cfgsamba
reloadsamba

Now change you windows workgroup to WORKGROUP, add a user called knoppix and use the same password you just entered on the OC-Linux box, and reboot your windows machine. You should be able to browse or map the network drive, though I think its only going to be readable and not writeable- afterall, its only a small ramdisk.... That should let you use EM3 to monitor the OC-Linux box though, I hope.

Last edited:
What about X11 for remote operation? Should be fine for LAN use while VNC is good for Internet use.
XFree86 is available for Windows btw. There was one or two free but proprietary xservers as well. Long time since I looked admittedly

saving WU's

You can create some files in your home directory that will activate some scripts that run on a schedule. These are optional features.

If you create a file called smbshare and stick the location of a shared windows FAT32 drive in it(ex. //hostname/E:, and also create a file called credentials and stick user=knoppix,password=oclinux inside it, that should automatically mount a samba share for you. It will be mounted to /mnt/win on the OC-Linux box, I hope...

You can also create a file in your /home called save which contains the path to a removeable media or network drive. That will activate a script which will automatically back-up a work unit in progress to the location you specify- every 30 minutes, I hope...
It will have to be the right kind of file system- no NTFS!!! And folding WU's are too big for a floppy, but seti WU's aren't.

examples-

/mnt/win -a shared network drive
/mnt/hda2 - a local hdd
/mnt/floppy - a floppy drive
/mnt/pen - a usb pen drive
/mnt/sda4 - an SCSI drive

remote connectivity- Yup you can do it how you want from a windows or linux machine, x client, vncviewer, putty, teraterm, or cygwin.... But you need to understand that it is a very insecure OS. There are no passwords besides the samba password. The regular user, knoppix is practically root, and can sudo just about any command if need be. Luckily, there's no easy way to harm the file system since its burned to a CD.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention...

By default, it folds for OC3d, team 32 at startup.

You can kill that with the commands foldoff or purge fold.
You can config folding with the command cfgfold or cfgfold65- both will also start the client, the former with gromacs flags, the latter without.

To run seti, use the command purge fold to get folding out of ramdisk.
Then setion or setionproxy [IP_ADDY:port]

Prime95- Run purge fold to shutdown and remove folding from ramdisk.
Run primeon to start the prime-net client.

None of these are really tested, so let me know if they work or not.

:(

Is it just me?

I have tried numerous times and with different methods to get the iso but nothing works.

I have used:
IE5.5- which usually gives me no trouble with ftp sites
SmartFTP (demo) which I haven't used before but connects fine to my own ftp
linux ftp.

What happens is that I find the file, it starts the download but each and every time I get a different file size!!!!!!
Biggest so far is about 50mb shown; since I know that the iso is about 653 I stop the download. (Well, I did one while sleeping that completed but was only 40 or so mb.)

Is it me or is something screwy with the ftp?

You're the second person to report a problem like this. I'm at work now, but I will be able to investigate the issue in about 2 hours. The unix server I uploaded to doesn't allow you to list the contents of the directories (no read access). It may be mis-reporting the info. Have you tried Opera? That at least has built in features to resume interrupted downloads.

In any case, I'll try to fix it and to get a mirror site if that one is going to cause problems. Should have more info for you guys early this evening.

Some good news- While folding and running karamba on a machine with only 128mb of ram, I still have 9mb of ram free.

Ok, I need a place to upload this thing. The ftp server I've been trying to use is not working out.... It keeps reseting the connection and restarts the upload instead of resuming from where it left off.

Since it seems most of my scripts don't quite work the way I intedend, here's the manual commands....

To fold:

purge fold
cd /ramdisk/home/knoppix/fold
/usr/local/bin/FAH3Console.exe -advmethods -forceasm

To Crunch:

purge fold
cd /ramdisk/home/knoppix
setion
/usr/local/bin/setiathome -optionalflag -optionalflag

To run prime-net:

purge fold
primeon

To kill a process you'll have to grep for its pid or use top and do kill -9 pid in the standard way.

To fix the karamba icon, right-click it, choose properties, click on execute. it should say /usr/bin/karamba /data/karambatheme.......

Last edited:
Next beta v.98

I fixed all of the scripts I hope...
Fixed the broken icons.
Added Nforce2 net driver.
Added Opera 7.
Added broadcom4400 net driver.

The improved beta has been uploaded from my linux box .iso is 669mb.

OC-Linux_07102003_v.98beta-DarkTower.iso

Last edited:
I found some mistakes mid-way through last night's upload. So I cancelled and repaired the problems. It should be a 669mb iso file.

Mirror 1 Upload Completed.

Mirror 2 Upload Completed.
user oclinux
password oclinux

There might still be two files in that directory. You want:

OC-Linux_07102003_v.98beta-DarkTower.iso
And again it should be 669mb.

Last edited:
just a suggestion but you might want to add LVcool to your list of programs to install its sister is Vcool the cpu cooling software that lots of people use i for one used your oc linux and my cpu went up to 111F were it normally sits at 95F with Vcool if you want a link its http://vcool.occludo.net/VC_Linux.html

It runs distributed computing programs from the get go, that's why CPU temps go up. When you shut them down, it lets the CPU be idle, and so that should let it cool off.

All custom commands are in /usr/local/bin

I will definitely consider adding it though, since its probably very small.

There's a package in OC-Linux called hwtools that lets you manipulate low-level hardware stuff. I don't know how to use it or what you can do with it. Be forewarned, it could be dangerous if used incorrectly.

be careeful running FAH3Console.exe or setiathome directly. You need to be in the appropriate directory of the ramdisk.

cd /home/knoppix/fold

cd /home/knoppix/seti

That's why I made the setion and foldon scripts...

Last edited:
Seti issue with v.98

Its been reported that the seti client crunches on a blank config. I will delete the user_info.sah in the next version which will let the client auto-generate a user config the first time it starts. For now, fill in your user info in the file /home/knoppix/seti/user_info.sah or just delete that file.

Then run the commands

setioff
setion

Last edited:
SpyderMatrix said:
just a suggestion but you might want to add LVcool to your list of programs to install its sister is Vcool the cpu cooling software that lots of people use i for one used your oc linux and my cpu went up to 111F were it normally sits at 95F with Vcool if you want a link its http://vcool.occludo.net/VC_Linux.html

Why would you want to use that program when you are doing a distributed computing project? It only works at idle and if you do Folding, SETI, or prime your computer will not be at idle.

Exactly my thoughts....

But OC-Linux is also very versatile. Its got the standard array of linux apps, minus a few that I deemed an acceptable loss. I've added some advanced networking and filesystem tools as well as a disk benchmark and cpuid. It should be fairly useful as a system recovery OS.

For a complete list of what's installed, run the command

showapps

be prepared to press the scroll lock key

Last edited:
OC-Linux beta

I moved my box back to my pad where I can burn the iso myself. Too bad I had to leave town for the weekend. Looks like a few days of letting you guys play with OC-Linux, and doing the same myself will reveal any short-comings. I should get an official version out by mid-week. I promise to include documentation in the official version.

Things I want to know-

Can anyone help out with some fluxbox configging?

Do you like the Icewm look? It's what's used by VNC also.

Does F@H run when X is started?

Do all the scripts in /usr/local/bin work?

Can the ramdisk be shared to a windows machine with Samba?

Does the Nforce2 nvnet driver work?

Do the optional savewu and sambamount scripts work? (you have to create a couple of files for these to read in variables from... I mentioned them in a previous post in this thread)

Does it look ok? I'll accept any advice or links to pics/icons/themes et ectera that you'd like to see incorporated into it?

Any software I should add? I was going to throw in kdfold, even though EM3 should be able to monitor an OC-Linux box from a LAN. I'm also adding i2c. Already have lm_sensors and gkrellm. You just can't use them unless you do a hdd install.... but I'll work on recompiling the kernel (its a very non-standard procedure for knoppix), and moving the appropriate config files that would require altering into the ramdisk and replace them in /etc with soft-links.

That should make hardware-monitoring possible.

But, the more I change, the more likely the hdd install will become harder to pull off without extra work on your part should you want to try a hdd install.

Last edited:
Back