• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

twinxC2 vs twinx LL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emericanchaos

what's the difference between twinx C2 @2 3 3 6 T1 and twinx LL @2 3 2 6 T1 there's a huge price differnce so what's the difference. they're both PC3200

emericanchaos said:
what's the difference between twinx C2 @2 3 3 6 T1 and twinx LL @2 3 2 6 T1 there's a huge price differnce so what's the difference. they're both PC3200

I just got 2 sticks of the LL stuff and after I put it in my A7N8X dlx this weekend and (I hate this) reinstall XP, I'll let you know.
Actually, it's getting all the apps back up that's a pain.............

Go for the C2. LL was originally supposed to run at 2-2-2-5, but Corsair soon realized that the sticks didn't particularly work very well at those times on springdale/canterwood boards. I've got a gig of LL, but if I was buying now, I'd go C2 no doubt.

Thinking only of Corsair, would you say the slightly higher latencies in the c2 model are worth the price drop (almost $100) for 1 GB?

JKeefe said:
Thinking only of Corsair, would you say the slightly higher latencies in the c2 model are worth the price drop (almost $100) for 1 GB?

Its the TwinxLLPP that have the lower latencies not the c2

From what I've heard, the Corsair PC3200LL series use Winbond BH-5 chips while their PC3200C2 series use Samsung chips.

Personally, i think the PC3200LL is well worth it.

Icarus said:
From what I've heard, the Corsair PC3200LL series use Winbond BH-5 chips while their PC3200C2 series use Samsung chips.

Personally, i think the PC3200LL is well worth it.

Hi I was just wondering how high your able to get the FSB with those Corsair PC3200LL and are those the same as the Corsair PC3200LLPT ?
Thanks!!!!!

The difference between the LL and the LLPT is only the color of the heat spreaders (black vs. platinum).

I will look into the Winbond vs. Samsung issue.

where did you read this?

id like to know which use the winbond and which use the samsung because im buying the corsair 3200c2 or ll this summer...

he said LL is the 5ns winbond and the C2 is the lesser quality samsung. i think corsair lists which chips they use on each model.

i can't find where corsair says what chips they use but their pdf for the C2's says 6ns. is the difference between 6ns C2's and 5ns LL's worth that much if i plan on hitting 220FSB on an nf7-s R2?

Last edited:
If the LL uses Winbond BH-5 chips, would it be better to just get the Twinmos/Winbond CH-5 chip RAM at MemoryX?

The 512MB Twinmos/Winbond CH-5 costs $98 at MemoryX
vs.
the 512MB LL costs $150 at newegg.

emericanchaos said:
he said LL is the 5ns winbond and the C2 is the lesser quality samsung. i think corsair lists which chips they use on each model.

i can't find where corsair says what chips they use but their pdf for the C2's says 6ns. is the difference between 6ns C2's and 5ns LL's worth that much if i plan on hitting 220FSB on an nf7-s R2?
If the c2 really does use 6ns chips, they would only be theoretically capable of 333MHz, or PC2700 speeds. 5ns is theoretically capable of 400 MHz or PC3200 speeds, so I would think all PC3200 memory would be 5ns.

emericanchaos said:

Samsung noooo....

If you read hexus review on XMS3200C2 they state Corsair use 6.0ns winbond revB chips!
I think the difference between LL and C2 when overclocking at or below 2.8Vdimm is around 10Mhz.
With mine, i can do 210Mhz 5-3-2-2.0 with 2.77Vdimm stable as a rock. Haven't tried any higher.

One thing though, are those platinum HS just for looks? I've seen they come in platinum but not sure if they perform like regular black xms3200c2.

New2me said:
One thing though, are those platinum HS just for looks? I've seen they come in platinum but not sure if they perform like regular black xms3200c2.
As I said before
[qb]The difference between the LL and the LLPT is only the color of the heat spreaders (black vs. platinum).[/qb]
The heat spreader is not actually platinum - it is platinum-colored. It is painful to think of the price that an actual platinum anything would be. Both the black and the platinum heat spreaders use the same metal as heat radiation material. Remember, the black and the platinum cost exactly the same - since when do product made by the same company with the same price and the same (almost) model number perform differently?

docinthebox said:
If the LL uses Winbond BH-5 chips, would it be better to just get the Twinmos/Winbond CH-5 chip RAM at MemoryX?

The 512MB Twinmos/Winbond CH-5 costs $98 at MemoryX
vs.
the 512MB LL costs $150 at newegg.

HOLY CRAP! memoryx is awesome. yes def get the twinmos. corsair uses the same stuff for $80 more. i'm going to go ahead with the 256MB pc3700 for $70 a shot.

emericanchaos said:

HOLY CRAP! memoryx is awesome. yes def get the twinmos. corsair uses the same stuff for $80 more. i'm going to go ahead with the 256MB pc3700 for $70 a shot.

There is a difference. Companies like Corsair, OCZ..etc *handpick* BH-5 chips. Yes, Winbond is generally good, but not every single BH-5 or CH-5 is guaranteed to run at its rated speed. The reason why you are paying so much more for corsair is for the labor - they have pretested and and know for a fact that it runs at whatever rated speed they sell it at.

Also, CH-5 chips are newer than the BH-5s, but they are made on a smaller micron process (correct me if I'm wrong) and can take less voltage than the BH-5s. So generally, I think most people here recommend BH-5 chips over CH-5.

Back