• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Psu connectors for gpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnD420

I have a be quiet pure power 11fm 750w gold, and a 3080ftw3. My psu has 2 6+2 connectors each with a splitter and my 3080 requires 3 8pin connector. Will I be fine to have a daisy chain with 2 connectors? If it’s okay can I up the power limit and be fine as well?

The long answer - The EVGA 3080 FTW3 has a TDP of 320W. Keep in mind this is with it's stock configuration. Each 6+2 connector is rated for 150W, however, the maximum Watts per cable is 288W. Additionally, the motherboard PCIe slot can provide up to 75W of power. So, three 6+2 connectors on 2 cables equals a max of 438W plus 75 Watts equals a staggering 513W of potential power.

The short answer - Yes, you will be fine daisy chaining one of your cables.

Bonus question - "If it’s okay can I up the power limit and be fine as well?" Yes, your GPU will likely become unstable before reaching the upper limit of the cables/PSU. However, whenever upping the power limit you definitely need to monitor your rig as these new GPUs do climb in power rapidly. Your cables will get warm before they get hot. Warm is OK, Hot is Not. (LOL)

Please keep in mind, this answer is for the general and enthusiast user. If you are a power user and push your rig 27/7 (i.e. F@H, Mining, long duration heavy rendering computaion) I would only use 80% of those maximum numbers I provided.

It's not ideal or recommended, but it should work. Not sure I'd raise the power on that config.
I mean I have had no problem so far , I undervolted as well I was just curious
Post magically merged:

The long answer - The EVGA 3080 FTW3 has a TDP of 320W. Keep in mind this is with it's stock configuration. Each 6+2 connector is rated for 150W, however, the maximum Watts per cable is 288W. Additionally, the motherboard PCIe slot can provide up to 75W of power. So, three 6+2 connectors on 2 cables equals a max of 438W plus 75 Watts equals a staggering 513W of potential power.

The short answer - Yes, you will be fine daisy chaining one of your cables.

Bonus question - "If it’s okay can I up the power limit and be fine as well?" Yes, your GPU will likely become unstable before reaching the upper limit of the cables/PSU. However, whenever upping the power limit you definitely need to monitor your rig as these new GPUs do climb in power rapidly. Your cables will get warm before they get hot. Warm is OK, Hot is Not. (LOL)

Please keep in mind, this answer is for the general and enthusiast user. If you are a power user and push your rig 27/7 (i.e. F@H, Mining, long duration heavy rendering computaion) I would only use 80% of those maximum numbers I provided
In games with my undervolt I am at 330-340 and benchmarks around 380 ,stock it can go up to 480 on furmark

,stock it can go up to 480 on furmark
...just delete that program. It doesn't do squat but to test power levels you'll never see anywhere else. Notice in most Furmark tests the running clock speeds are often HUNDREDS of MHz lower than what you run? It's better to loop 3DMark or another similar program than to use Furmark (NV and AMD consider it a power virus).

Back