• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti with Lunix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgm6780

Registered
Anyone got a link to a site with instructions on how to get seti running on a linux machine? I am a complete newbie with linux so I need a good guide. I am using RedHat 9.0 with a GNOME GUI desktop. Thanks for any help.

Don't have a link that I can think of right now, but what part are you having trouble with - we can help here.

Well, sort of depending on which cpu your running, these are the steps:

1. Download i686-pc-linux-gnu tar file from the link at Berkeley.
2. cd to the directory you saved the tar file and: tar xf seti*tar
3. cd to the new setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu directory: cd s*gnu
4. Run setiathome for the CLI (or, god forbid, xsetiathome): ./setiathome
5. Once you've given your user info and it's downloaded a WU, stop it with ctrl+c and toss it in the background: ./setiathome 2>&1 /dev/null &
6. Check it out with top and verify that it's now hogging your cpu ;)

You'll want to do all of this at the console, except maybe downloading the client through your browser of choice. On my freebsd and linux machines I usually start seti before starting X when I've rebooted. I use a little alias in my .bashrc file like:

alias seti='cd $HOME/seti && (./seti -proxy 192.168.1.35:5517 &> /dev/null &) && cd $OLDPWD

This will work fine from a console in X though as well..

Back