• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Integrated Sound vs. Expensive Sound Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuddFlat

I write music and I deal primarily with midi sound and midi files. I'm putting together a new computer and I don't know if I should spend $150+ on the Audigy Platinum 2 or just use the integrated 5.1 sound that comes with a new motherboard??

I don't know which motherboard I'm getting quite yet, but I want all the advice I can get from you experts. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

If you want to save a few bucks on the sound card, the NF7-S has great onboard sound. You'll have to go AMD though.

-Bobby

I'm planning on getting a AMD 2500+ Barton anyway. The speakers I have are Logitech's Z-640.

I just want high quality midi. So when I playback in Finale, the trumpet part sounds like a good trumpet and the cello sounds like a good cello. I want a high quality wave table and wave synthesis, etc.

In that case, I don't think you can go wrong with the Abit NF7-S. If the sound isn't to your liking, you can always get a sound card later but I think you'll like the onboard sound.

-Bobby

if writing music is what you do, then wouldn't it be a good investment in buying a more expensive card? I have an audigy gamer, it has the 24bit sound like the audigy 2 but doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that the new audigy 2 has, also they are around $87.

welcometotheforums.JPG

Midi is just trigger messages telling your synth what note to play and when to play it. Are you considering using the synth on your soundcard, softsynths or hardware separate from the computer? Most good cards don't even come with built in synths anymore, as not very many musicians are intrested in gm soundbanks and theres great softsynths around...

If you are thinking of using softsynths, you'll need a soundcard with asio drivers. The sandstorm sound built in on nforce2 motherboards is probably the first really cheap solutions. It's not especially hi-fi quality (atleast the analogue output) but it should be fine for starting out.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the sound solutions stated so far. If you want some UNBELIEVABLE midi, I would use the yamaha XG midi engine. I was floored the first time I heard it. I compared it to the midi outputof my SBLive a couple years ago and the XG wiped the floor against the SBLIVE. It also destroyed my Audigy1 midi output. I'm sure it will do the same against the audigy2 since it is very similar to the Audigy1.

Demo it *HERE*

Make sure you download some of these demos too.
http://www.yamaha-xg.com/free/index.html

The yamaha XG is ok, but nothing compared to the softsynths out there. I have an external synth with the xg sounds in it, and never end up using them. I would say there is free softsynths that will get as good results without using alot of cpu power. If you want to invest in a soundcard it's better to get something with only the features you need and a clear signal path. The yamaha cards have been designed a long time ago when cpu power was still a limiting factor and you could'nt rely purely on software.

Ofcourse if you allready have an idea on what kind of music you want to make and how then we can help you select a soundcard that would fit your purposes. If you don't, get a nforce2 motherboard with the soundstorm sounds integrated and get a good soundcard once you know more about what you want to do. :)

I am going to do classical compostition. Like 24 instruments at once. I would like to have them each on a separate channel. I want a card that can give me that!

The Audigy Platinum 2 has integrated MIDI in/out, which my friend who does a lot of sound work finds invaluable when working with his MIDI. He tells me the A2P is the best card out there right now for MIDI composing on a PC. He swears by it. I just have an older Extigy card, and I use the in/out jacks on it rarely since I don't do any sound work. But it too has MIDI in/out and 24khz playback (just playback, not recording. the A2P has 24khz recording), and it is quite a bit less expensive than the A2P or A2PEX. Whichever solution from Creative you go with, I think you'll be more than satisfied. :)

typically.

m-audio has been making audiophile and musician's sound cards for several years. The revolution (I believe) is their first atempt at a mainstream card.

Creative cards are toys for making music. Above all, the asio drivers only work at 48khz meaning sampling becomes hell... If you one day decide to buy a sample cd you will have to convert all of your samples from 44.1khz to 48khz, and might have problems running some softsynths.

Practicly every soundcard has 'built in midi'. You just plug a cable into the joystick port and voila you have working midi...

For questions regarding music making equipment you would be alot better off asking at the computer music forum. There are very friendly people there who only use their computers for making music. I do too, but for very diferant kind of music then what you are planning.

If your using a Nforce 2 board, and your not going to be playing games, Then your better off just sticking with the onboard sound, It sounds good and has all the input and outputs one would need. and since your only doing midi even a SB16 or AWE64 would work fine. so I say save yourself some dough.
if you get the Nforce2 with the soundstrom then you shouldnt even think of a Audigy.
-L_P

If you want to do really professional-level stuff and work with things like softsynths and soundfonts in programs like Cubase SX, I definetely recommend some kind of M-Audio card, or if you're strapped for cash a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Avoid cards like the SBLive! at all costs.

Back