• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question about OCZ DUAL PC3700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can you tell me what mainboard you are using? I can probably ask one of our tech's for you before the weekend hits.

Oh, sorry. It's for a system that I'm going to build. I'm thinking about getting a ASUS P4P800 or a ABIT IC7. I was hoping to overclock a P4 2.8C to 3.5GHz while keeping the ram at 1:1.

SemiCycle said:
I'm not knocking OCZ because I use their memory myself in one of my PCs, but after reading this article, it doesn'tmake me wonder if I will buy their products again. I'll you draw your own conclusions.

http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ocz3700/

To name a few
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=213472
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15827

Basically that review was wirtten by a mushkin employee. Just remember that nowhere did OCZ claim to make thier own chips for the gold ram

mrspec

if all your information is as reliable as the one about the author of the article being a Mushkin employee, you might as well shoot yourself.

It is getting kind of boring reading the same crap all over again from people who have absolutely no clue what they are talking about, neither on a technical level nor on whatever other issues they refer to.

On a different thread, there was even somebody calling Mushkin and asking for a Mr. Shoulet ... now, where did that name come from? I guess somebody had either a bad dream or else smoked the wrong stuff... :D

mckennaiii said:
mrspec3:

dr. michael schuette of www.lostcircuits.com calls a spade a spade.
know your facts before you speak, and don't let your mouth over ride your brain.

Firstly LS is one amazing site that I have learned so much from. I was not nocking the site but from at least 4 different sources I had heard that review was done by a guy that worked for mushkin.

That wasn't the point of my post though. I wanted to show people that OCZ had never claimed to make thier own IC's for the gold ram. So before people went all nuts about seeing the sammy IC's I wanted to post that. No matter what chips are on it you can't deny it's the fastest ram you can get.

Here is the document

INTERNAL USE ONLY : ENGINEERING DEPT -TW-CA

Thermal modification of standard DDR DRAM TSOP packages , for increased thermal dissipation and speed reclassification.

Note #1 : Reference EL DDR packing specification is linked at /spec/elddr.html

Purpose :Increase speed of ( SEC packaged ) TSOP , through using EL DDR packaging theory. To fill product shortage during die revision change

EL DDR Packaging : by decreasing the thickness of encapsulate (low thermal transfer rate ) we are able to effectively increase heat dissipation in DRAM and thereby increase the effective speed of each IC . Using a third party fabrication and packaging plant this theory has been proven and the (B) die revision OCZ EL DDR die had great success. Average maximum speed increase during stage 2 testing has been verified over 23 MHz.

Proposition: While dies fabricated by 3rd parties for OCZ in 3rd party packaging have proven successful to this point . We feel that to insure our success we should supplement by speed binning large quantities of 3rd party IC's and by physically modifying the package decreased thermal resistance and re-speed grade the ICs using the standard Advantest ATE.

Licensing and Disclosure : We have negotiated an agreement with Samsung Semi to allow us to physical modify SAMSUNG brand ICs . Samsung Semi will provide us with pre-graded 466Mhz and 500Mhz ICs for modification. In Exchange we are to provide SEC with the complete EL DDR guideline . See Ryan Petersen for License agreement details.

Industry Disclosure: See Ryan Petersen

Process Engineering : See Mark Meir

Process Overview :

Samsung semi will provide die location information , we will be using the DP-7 CO 2 laser to remove the surface material from the package face only average laser cut depth is 7mill . After surface removal the package should be sent to ISE for environmental test and then re-speed graded after speed grade and classification chips will be marked ( standard process) and standard process thereafter

Heat Dissipation Data : Mark Meir

Pilot Test Result:

Due to the lack of yield from PCS on our C rev (gold series) 16x8 IC we will be supplementing gold series with the SEC products . The SEC product has significantly higher performance ( exceeding DDR 533 in certain cases ) and we should immediately move towards this solution during the interim : PCS and UMC D die test results are giving 95% preliminary yield above DDR 500 speed

6/3/03 NOTICE : THIS IS A LIMITED LIFESPAN PROCEDURE .

6//28/03 NOTICE : PCS and UMC have increased yields and D revision of the OCZ die is expected in the first week of July

7/03/03 NOTICE : ALL MODIFIED SAMSUNG TSOP ARE CURRENTLY BEING ALLOCATED TO PREMIER SERIES

* - note from mark , looks like some happy campers will be hitting DDR 533 plus with there premier series . Corsair will never know what hit them , there using the SEC TSOP , but with no thermal modification for there XMS 3700 we should be 30Mhz over there speed , and at CL 2.5. In addition I pretty sure there buying ICs off the open market , I am under the impression from speaking with ryan that SEC speed graded these to 500 3-4-4 before we even touched them . Another reason for us to give the customer more than what they pay for.

* note from Roy , wahooooooooooooo

Note from Ryan : Your engineering prowess has saved us once again. I am glad for one that through a time of low yields we were able to hold it together and even improve the quality of our bargain products . KUDOS

"but from at least 4 different sources I had heard that review was done by a guy that worked for mushkin"

Yep, funny how that goes, the principles of plurality. Like 10 billion flies can't be wrong

LOL

:mad:

Also keep in mind that the disclosure was never done on the OCZ site until the article, rather it was posted on the Xtreme Systems forums only.

A quick look at the article and the author would have certainly cleared the issue, regardless of how many "flies" vouch for the opposite.

LostCircuits said:
Also keep in mind that the disclosure was never done on the OCZ site until the article, rather it was posted on the Xtreme Systems forums only.

It was actually talked about a week or so before that article came out. PM ryan at XS if you want to see the thread

That really doesn't count, what counts is the product page of the manufacturer. Anybody can post some stuff somewhere and then claim that there was a disclosure of the facts.

Unfortunately, this is becoming a habit even with major corporations that "leak" their plans of closing an entire division of their operations in the "Timbuktu Post" where they can be sure nobody will read it but they fulfill their obligation of public disclosure for e.g. the board of directors.

With product, the situation is very simple, the only thing that counts is the product specs on the company website, everything else is null and void.

I found it funny that Ryan emailed me stating that the true nature of the chips had been disclosed a week prior to the article. No, it was not disclosed, it was leaked, and it's as simple as that.

Those issues are really the stuff that hurts OCZ, that and the stuff that they have been spreading "rumors" about other people AGAINST better knowledge like: "I was told by OZC that LostCircuits belongs to Mushkin".

Paleeese... crawl back under the rock... :D

I dont really have much to say here except
welcometotheforums.JPG
lostcircuits

I really don't care if the IC is made by Kmart. If it kicks ***, it kicks *** and I'll use it. The proof is in the performance.

Back