• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap performance RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tony77

Registered
I returned the buffalo 3700, i tried 3 sticks, all bh-5 ddr3700 and im giving up on it. I have come to the conclusion that either all the sticks are bad or my computer doesnt like winbond. I say winbond because the corsair ive got runs fine. I would use the corsair but i want 2X512mbs and the corsair i have is 2X256. So now im left with the difficult decision of what to get instead of winbond. I know cheap performance ram without winbond is kind of hard to recomend, from what i understand it is the obvious solution. The positive review of the crucial 3200 confuses me as it contrasts all other reiews, it would be great but probably too good to be true. Any sugjestions? I was hoping to hit at least FSB215 with reasonably tight timings while keeping the cost per 512 stick around 100 dollars. Also it would be convinient to order it from newegg. thanks for any sugjestions. I will be eagerly waiting for some good sugjestions. in the mean time ill research and see if i can find any helpful posts.

Abit NF7-S 2.0
Barton 2500+
WD 80gig HD
LiteOn RWCD
Radeon 9700 pro
Antec Truepower 420v

huh? You couldn't get 215fsb with the Buffalo BH5's? I briefly tested 1 stick of 512mb Buffalo pc3200 BH5 in my NFS-s v2.0 up to 220 fsb, 2.9v, 6-2-2-2.0. Maybe 2 sticks in dual channel is holding you back.

I could run 2 x 512mb Twinmos pc3200 (CH5) in dual channel up to 220fsb, 2.9v, 11-3-2-2.0. With CPU Interface disabled, it'll go up to 238fsb, 2.9v, 11-3-3-2.0.

They are about $97+shipping ea. at www.memoryx.net.

Like i said im done with winbond, i tested 3 bh-5s on my motherboard and they all had terrible stability issues, and all tested with different FSB and timings. So once again, any nonwinbond sugjestions?

well i dunno if it's good but I guess anything running stable beyond rated spec is good..

my OCZ PC3200 went to.. if i remember correctly.. 186(?) at 5-2-2-2 at default voltage and 210 at 6-3-3-2 at default voltage.. can't inject any more juice to ram until my new PSU arrives.

Tony77 said:
Like i said im done with winbond, i tested 3 bh-5s on my motherboard and they all had terrible stability issues, and all tested with different FSB and timings. So once again, any nonwinbond sugjestions?

I would suggest finding the real problem. Winbond works. I'm guessing it's your 420v power supply ;) (sorry, could not resist).

The corsair is XMS LL 3200.... god this is driving me crazy. No i doubt its winbond. Maybe my board doesnt work well with 512? It could be the motherboard, all i have to go on is that when the corsair is in the machine it runs at 220 with tight timings just fine. I thought maybe they are being damaged by FedEx. I really dont know what to do... im tempted to give CH-5 a chance but if it doesnt work its going to be ackward returning the 4th stick of Buffalo to Newegg for being defective. Why cant things just work for me for once? :]

Are you sure you have everything properly set in the BIOS?

What multipliar x fsb are you trying to achieve? And what's the Vcore? You only mentioned timings, but how about the Vdimm? And is it set on 1:1?

yea i was gonna say,... your corsair is using winbond chips, so its not a winbond issue. sounds odd,... must be the board.

yes sorry, i think it may be the cpu's fault. I lowered the multiplyer and its doing better... i was trying 200X11 but i lowered the multiplyer to 10. Im using 2v for the cpu and 2.9 for the dimm, but it reads 3v. everything is reading cool. Anyone seen bend it like beckham? god keira knightley is hot!

Back