• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make my 1700+ a 166 or 200Mhz chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikolasmor

Something is wrong with the search so here is the question, how do I turn my 1700+ into at least a 166 chip and preferably a 200Mhz chip. Is the 200Mhz mod safe? I think my CPU is holding me back big time.

With the combination you have Setting the fsb to 166 and then adjusting the multiplier till it allows you to boot gets you off the ground. The same applies to 200mhz. Using these two settings assures that you PCI/AGP busses stay at default. Step up voltage as needed or you can set it to 1.85 volts and work it down. Be sure you have a temp monitoring program running so that you can see the temps as you go. This should get you started.

Pins have nothing to do with setting the FSB. It's all up to you. Now there are multipliers that you can adjust, but that's about it.

I dont think so..if the chip can run @ 200fsb, then it can. Either, the system moves it to 200fsb and you raise it, or you move it to 200fsb+, its going to overclock the same.

not really, if it detects as a 166 or a 200 it will OC higher than that but mine will only overclock to 200, now if I can make it a default 200 I can OC higher, do a search on wire trick and you'll see what I mean

I'm not sure what you are saying.
As far as i know the overclock you get out of your CPU, depends on your CPU. I'm pretty sure the recognition of your CPU as a 166/200Mhz model will not give you more speed.

Then do a search , I've been reading success stories fpr the past 6 hours about people being toppped out on the CPU and the doing this and gaining another 10-30Mhz on their FSB, do a search on all the OC and AMD forums, you'll see

I've never heard about it. Seems weird.
Let us know if it works for you Nikolasmor.

Does it only work on nForce 2 boards? I've got a KT333 board and i doubt i'd get higher than 200-205Mhz and then there's the PCI frequency......

Yup hes on the ball , i have heard about that too. Someone used it on the NF7 who was maxing @215Mhz FSB and with that mod there getting 240Mhz FSB :) . Am sure i also red about it on these forums.......

There has to be a reason that trick (L12 mod) allows you to increase the FSB. The nforce2 must have different (slower) timings for the 166/200 fsb. I can't see any other reason that trick would increase max FSB.

Has anyone measured actual performance before and after the mod. Is it possible you are actually not gaining that much - less than would normally be expected from a large FSB increase- by tricking the board into running at a higher speed? I guess what I'm wondering is, is a 133mhz FSB cpu OC'd to 166 faster than a 166mhz chip @ 166 (on the nforce2)?

well, it didn't work for me on my a7n8x-x but did work on my new gigabyte board. put the wire in. rebooted after hitting optimal settings. went into bios again, and fsb was 166....gonna try the 200fsb mod later....

There are a couple of threads about that in the Abit motherboard section. People claim to be getting higher bus speeds if they mod the chip it self.

The question is whether the mod is CPU specific or motherboard specific, or both.

Question: After the CPU FSB_Sensse (wire trick) mod or L12 mod for a given CPU, does the mod help many different brands of motherboards (e.g. NF7-S, A7N8X, ...) or just one or two.

If a modified CPU can improve max FSB on many different motherboard, then it looks like is a CPU issue.

If only some CPU can improve max FSB on the same motherboard, and some CPU don't, then it seems to be a CPU issue.

If a modified CPU can only improve max FSB on one or two motherboard but not many (assuming all motherboards have latest bios to handle a 3200+ for example), then it looks like its a motherboard specific issue.

Back