• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to keep wires neat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-N-

um... my case is just like loaded with power supply wires. The IDE cables aren't really a problem cause they're just one straight line. i could always get rounded cables if i wanted to, also. These power cables are the problem.. they're everywhere. I can't adjust the length of them so for example.. the drives and fan connectors up top near the PSU are just jammed. They stick outward which makes it very ugly. How do you guys keep your cases so neat where none of the cables even show? I have cable-zip-ties or whatever but those are just to hold them together.

what do you guys do?

I just ordered some sleeves from Case-Mod.com. $2/4ft for 1/4" sleeving and $1.50/foot for 9mm heatshrink.

Right now, I use zipties and cable management holders that came with my case. I'll still use them but the sleeving will make it look cleaner.

-Bobby

how would you go about sleeving a PSU? isnt it hard to remove wire per wire of every connector and making sure that they are placed where they once where? Are there any good articles on sleeving?

There's a few articles on how to sleeve a ps. I don't have them off hand though. You just need a really small flat head screw driver or a pick to get the leads out of the connectors. Just put them back where they were.

My ps already has the 20pin sleeved so I'm just going to do the rest.

-Bobby

Hmmmm, I might just go the ghetto way and use electrical tape and use a lighter to shrink it, it looks alot better on a friends computer than without it, so I think that will work for me.

I'm so used to using split wire loom, black tape and zip ties.

On all the wires, you can only cover up so much with the sleeve, but the end closest to the connector the wire is still exposed. This is where the black tape comes in ;) A small piece will do in a triangular method as close to the molex connector ( and other connectors) as possible. Next comes the split wire loom. Any auto parts store has it in different sizes and colors. I bought 2-6ft pieces for less that 4 bux. Then last but not least is the trusty zip ties. The #1 computer geek's/Modder's wire managent tool. No tool box or junk box should be with out it!

After you taped the ends up with the tape, I usually do a quick spiral around the wires to keep then neatly tied up. Then proceed to cover them up with the split wire loom, then zip tie them outta the way. That's it. I took my time and got all my wires in about an hour ( yup, imma neat geek, ask Pinky :D )

A really easy and inexpensive way to manage that wire mess plus after it's done, it'll look really nice :cool:

So you have to use 1/2" sleeving for P1 connector and the 1/4" for the molex/4 pin. Doesnt using electrical tape look ok?

Josebmw said:
So you have to use 1/2" sleeving for P1 connector and the 1/4" for the molex/4 pin. Doesnt using electrical tape look ok?

yep, that's right. If you use very little black tape, it looks ok, but if you use alot, the heat inside the case will somehow unravel it, then the dust flying around will get stuck on it. After a while it will start getting really ugly and it's a mess redoing it all over again. The glue gets all gooey and leaves residue on your fingertips which is a pain to get off.

Ill try using little electrical tape then, sounds good, better than prying off every connector for the P1 and molex..and spending money in the sleeving, although it looks awesome I will bear the ghetto way.

hehe, i actually spliced all the ribbon cables (must be careful!) - took about 2 hours one evening and then zip-tied into round cables - no problems............of course, now they have rounded cables for sale......used to work in a mobile electronics shop and learned about bundling wires together as well as routing them so i took extra time to bundle/route to ensure good air movement inside my case and am very happy w/the way its been running over the last year..........

I hide my excess power cables behind the motherboard tray. There's still a bit of a mess from the power supply to the back of the tray, but it looks ok to me...better than just leaving them be.

Back