• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to build this machine..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seoultrain

OK well, i'm goin off to college and i'm about to order these parts and build this machine..

MSI Neo2-LS 865PE
2.4C P4
2x256MB Corsair XMS3700
Gainward FX5600 Ultra
antec true480 PSU
vantec aeroflow heatsink+fan
kingwin aluminum case

I'm looking for stuff that's cheap, but i want a machine that'll overclock (hence the corsair).. If u guys have any suggestions, changes, etc. i'd appreciate it, thanks.

IMHO i would without a doubt ditch that nvidia video card for an ati. If you are looking for cheap I would consider AMD, although you can build a pretty afordable intel overclocker these days too.

well, the card overclocks really well, and it's much faster than the 9600 pro, and the 97 and 98 pros are too expensive..
as for the AMD vs. Intel thing, the 2.4's got the higher ceiling and the better platform at the moment..
btw, i was a AMD and ATI fan too.. kinda ironic that i'm probably gonna end up goin intel/nvidia

I agree with deathnight on the video card even though I'm a die hard Nvidia fan the FX series fell perty damn short :D but if your into high res and lots of anti aliasing then it'll treat you well :eek: But go with a thermalright heatsink you can get the sk-7 for about 15$

Giblet Plus! said:
You could save a good bit of $ by buying a Sparkle/Fortron 350W instead of the 480W.

I was thinking the same thing myself but didn't want to come off too overly critical. Sparkle is a fantastic bang for the buck.

I think the P4 2.4 is a nice choice. Consider going with PC3200 instead of the 3700. It is most likely just oc'ed itself. As far as vid cards go.........go with ATI. The 9600 is a solid card and will play every game out there right now. I have one in my son's machine paired up with a XP1700 and PC2700. If you can find a ATI 9500 I would go with that on a budget. Also, if you can find the money to swing it, I would go with a canterwood board.

thanks for the input guys..
i read into the 9500s, and i'm gonna try it
the fortron looks great
and i'll get the 3200 ram..
as for the heatsink tho.. the sk-7 is a Socket A heatsink, and i like the aeroflow with it's quiet fan
thanks again guys, u saved me from spending a lot of money that i'd regret

Deathknight said:

I was thinking the same thing myself but didn't want to come off too overly critical. Sparkle is a fantastic bang for the buck.

Fortron is better bang for the buck than Sparkle because Sparkle buys them from Fortron Power Source (Fortron).

I would go for a different motherboard myself.

Maybe the latest ABIT P4 board, from what I have seen (little because I'm mostly AMD) it's pretty good.

I would also get an SLK-900 HS with either a 92mm tornado or a quiter fan if you can't take the noise. Its a little expensive but it is pretty much THE best HS on the market.

seoultrain said:
thanks for the input guys..
i read into the 9500s, and i'm gonna try it
the fortron looks great
and i'll get the 3200 ram..
as for the heatsink tho.. the sk-7 is a Socket A heatsink, and i like the aeroflow with it's quiet fan
thanks again guys, u saved me from spending a lot of money that i'd regret

NewEgg has the 9500 for $205 right now. Might want to take a look.

lansens said:

NewEgg has the 9500 for $205 right now. Might want to take a look.

well, i'm lookin into getting the 9500 non-pro and softmodding to 9700.. the one on newegg is a 9500pro.. the only place i could find one is allstar

Also, the SLK-900 is 45 bucks, plus the fan, and i don't know if i want to use that much money just for the HS.. is it worth 25 bucks over the aeroflow? or should i go with the SLK-800? it's 10 bucks less, and i don't see the 900 being that much better..

and i've decided to go with the Abit IS7.. thanks again

Back